Bethel Getting Paranoid, Tightening Screws

by AlanF 71 Replies latest jw friends

• Treborr Jones
    Treborr Jones

Hello all. I would like to introduce myself. I do not want to be in here under false pretenses. my name is Robert Howard. I am an ex JW owner and operator of the website Wake Up America. It can be found at try http://hardtruth.topcities.com/wake_up_america.html

I am also the author of the following article Watchtower Secrets at try http://hardtruth.topcities.com/dirtywatchtowersecrets.htm

I am more then pleased to hear that Bethel is getting paranoid.
    Anyway I wanted you all to know who I was. If any of you have a problem with me here speak now or forever hold your tongue.
    Thanks
    Robert Howard

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Alan F.,

thanks for the information...
    you're right, things are getting tough in N.Y.

to Trebor Jones

thanks for your very interesting links...and the
    clear pictures!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

• wasasister
    wasasister

I learned recently something of my own state's laws regarding taping of phone conversations. It happens to be a "two party consent" state, which means BOTH parties to the conversation must be informed and consent to the recording. (Elders, beware that coming into the possession of illegally obtained recorded materials can make you an accessory.)

I wonder, however, how the various state laws apply to interstate conversations? Do the laws of the state of origin of the call apply? Or the state of destination? Anyone here with legal resources?

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Wasasister: When Monica Lewinsky was on the phone with the women working with the Independent Consel, Ken Starr, she was in maryland, which prohibits non-consent recordings. The women (can't recall her name right now) was in another state, I believe Virginia. She was okay in Virginia. But, the Maryland authorities was able to bring charges against the other woman for violating maryland laws, regardless of where the call originated. Once a party in Maryland was involved, their laws came into effect. If this had just been a civil matter, then the other women could have just stayed out of maryland and avoided a court action. But because criminal charges were filed, then Maryland could seek extradition. So, the other woman faced the charges, and I believe that she was finally found not guilty or the case was dropped. - Amazing

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

I work for a Texas firm that regularly and legally records conversations without the knowledge of the person called. The states that prohibit such recording are:

Washington
    Montana
    Maryland
    Mass
    Pennsylvania
    California
    Nevada
    New Hampshire

paul

• Mulan
    Mulan

I guess I'm safe. I live in Washington. I might call on my cell phone, and ask if they are recording me. My home phone can be ID'd.

Isn't there some kind of a loophole if someone is calling a family member, though? And at Bethel, they call themselves a family, so maybe they justify it that way. Just a thought.

• metatron
    metatron

Guys, guys guys!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm serious, man!

Did you ever see an episode of Startrek where Captain
    Kirk escapes being destroyed by the Klingons by turning
    to Uhura and sending a coded message to Starfleet
    about activating a self destruct device?

Do you understand?
    Oh, the fun you could have with this!

metatron (those with insight, shall understand)

• metatron
    metatron

Family, my posterior, Mulan!

If that mess was a 'family', I'd sooner be an orphan.

Here's a point: They didn't used to have locks on everything
    (or rooms) but there was so much theft, well, security
    had to be tightened.

metatron

• Mulan
    Mulan

I used to hide food from my kids, and one of my sons stole money, so I kept my cash in a locked box. Family?

• ianao
    ianao

AlanF:

ianao, the phone number in Brooklyn is 718-560-5000.

Thanks. I actually got off my butt (wow!) and looked up the number at the jw-media sight. I called them and the operator told me that she couldn't tell me whether or not my telephone conversation was being recorded. She told me she would forward me to someone who COULD tell me, but they were out to lunch. I havn't tried back yet, and won't until tomorrow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit