Bethel Getting Paranoid, Tightening Screws

by AlanF 71 Replies latest jw friends

• AlanF
    AlanF

ianao, the phone number in Brooklyn is 718-560-5000.

AlanF

• Seeker
    Seeker

The legality depends on New York State law. Some states allow a person to tape their phone calls without informing the other party. Other states do not. I'm not sure on which side New York falls, but I have no doubt Legal has already worked it out.

• Black Man
    Black Man

Actually, Bethel is within their legal bounds in tapping phone calls. They tapped mine when I was at the house. If they were on a witch-hunt it was legal because it is considered their private property. Sucks don't it.........

• metatron
    metatron

Doesn't surprize me.

If you were really determined, a la Mission Impossible,
    you might be able to frame someone...

"Hey, Boss! We got those new bondage mags you ordered!"

metatron

• Black Man
    Black Man

lol, you're on-point met.

Bethel has had this cloak-and-dagger stuff goin' on for quite some time. There could probably be another thread started on this altogether. I remember there was this video store on Montague street that many Bethelites would rent movies from. Since R-Rated movies were taboo at the house, Bethel would arrange things where they would get a print-out of the rental list from the video-store and find out who was renting what. For newboys especially it was interesting seeing your movie rental rercord somehow end up on your one-year evaluation and that being one of the deciding factors in determining whether or not you stayed.

• LDH
    LDH

Black Man you are right.

I know the video store, and I know this is a fact.

Can you believe it, adult being treated like children?

• Kent
    Kent

Well, Black Man, I hope someone can dig up as many phone-numbers as possible, and post them here.

It should be interesting to call, saying this or that to a whole lot of people. Me thinks it would drive them crazy (as if they weren't already).

Phone-numbers (AND FAX NUMBERS!!!!!!) anyone?????

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• heathen
    heathen

even I remember Awake magazines with articles about
    privacy issues and the latest of spy technology
    posted .They seemed very concerned over the issue.
    I guess if somebody other than a jw does something
    of this nature it's got to be SATAN.The government
    is trying to pass laws that enable them to wire
    tap phones at random.At what point do you determine
    if you are totalitarian and paranoid?Even the constitution
    of the united states of america has an article about
    unreasonable search and seizure.People also have a
    right to not incriminate themselves thus making unauthorized
    phone tapping unadmissable in court hearings.Even murderers
    can plead the fifth amendment.Better for them not to
    have a public phone than to use underhanded tactics.
    If this is considered a fine work than they must do it
    so all are aware of what they are doing that the son of man
    may be glorified .
    The heathen has spoken.Do I hear a Halalujah and amen?

• willy_think
    willy_think

spying on each other? in the "Ministry of truth"? what would Winston say? oh ya, "i love bigbrother. i love bigbrother. i love bigbrother."

the ideas and opinions expressed in this post do not necessiarly represent those of the WTB&TS inc. or any of it's subsidiary corporations.
  • Amazing
    Amazing

When a call is only between party "A" and party "B", then it is correct that in many states one either party "A" or "B" can record the call wihtout the consent or knowledge of the other party. Maryland is one of the states that is an exception to this rule.

HOWEVER: If a person "A" calls person "B", then person "C" (the Society) has no legal right to tape record calls unless they provide a "disclosure" to the caller that a recording or monitoring made be done. Even "IF" the Society obtains the "written consent" of a Bethel worker to record their incoming and outgoing calls, then since the Society is still a third party, the caller or the person being called would still have to receive a "disclosure" that their call is being recorded.

Many businesses practice this where the monitor for 'qulaity' assurance. They use recorded calls to train employees on their phone manners and sales techniques. They also do it to cover themselves legally.

If I were to ever call the Society to talk to anyone there, and my call was rcorded without my knowledge, and I found out about it, then I would start my complaint with the Federal Communications Commission. That way I do not have to hire a lawyer in New York State to file a suit, but can let the government tackle it.

Amazing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit