In All Honesty, Are You A Happier Person Now Than when You Were A JW?

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

Absolutely I feel better. Much more freedom, and the ability to be me.

• blondie
    blondie

I feel like a horrible weight has been lifted from me. No more wasted time. As to friends, were they truly friends? Or was it conditional on your going to the meetings?

You will never be happier than you expect. To change your happiness, change your expectation.--Bette Davis

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

You bet your ass I'm happier...and those people FRIENDS with friends like those

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Let's see... I went from being suicidal, on multiple anti-depression meds and therapy to being very pleased with my life any myself.

Since leaving the bOrg my life has been on a steady course of improvement.

I would hate to think how miserable I would be right now if I was still in the bOrg... or if I would even still be alive.

• codeblue
    codeblue

No....I feel quite "lost".......could be a transition thing....I don't feel like I fit in anywhere.

• finallyspringlol
    finallyspringlol

yes, i would say i am much happier now. and relieved. i dont have to live by all these restrictions and expections any more.....not that they are bad i guess...unless you are not doing.......the shunning within the 'loving congregation' is what really got to me also....

my family, who are not jws, say that i am much happier too....and i luv my co-workers, no longer have to feel guilty for liking them!!!

joanne

• Emma
    Emma

Absolutely happier, no question. I can't believe the difference in my life after becoming free. I was raised in the org, left in my 40's, began making new friends and gathering a family of choice. Huge difference!

Emma

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

100% happier...even though shunned by my immediate family....i have my own family now...and it's wonderful....i wish they could comprehend it......can't explain to them my feelings, they just have to walk in my shoes.....my very happy shoes! Cheeleader Jump

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

Min, I think you asked this question before.

Yes, I am much much happier now. Whenever I think back of my jw life, I can't believe that I stayed that long.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

I am also still in a transition time and feeling a bit down at times, but at the same time enjoying my freedom. Nice to get off that stressful JW treadmill--no more rushing meals to get to the meeting on time,hurrying to wash and iron my frumpy meeting clothes, hurrying to get my book/bible study done, feeling guilty about getting together with people who I genuinely like, worrying that I haven't put enough "time" in at the end of the month and that list goes on and on. I am starting to do new things ( hobbies and interests) and such that I enjoyed before coming into the Org and making more connections with old and new friends outside of the Org. I still feel like I am on the treadmill at times and have this feeling that I am never doing enough--or getting enough done (probably a JW flashback). I am sad for the many people I have had to leave behind, but don't miss the religious routine in the least. I am trying to slow down to the speed of life and take time to smell the flowers and all that. I am happier, but in a bitter sweet sort of a way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit