In All Honesty, Are You A Happier Person Now Than when You Were A JW?

by minimus 70 Replies latest jw friends

• RR
    RR

I'm pretty much the same, I was always my own person when I was with the WTS.

RR

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

A must be 'in' for now, or else my close relatives, whom I love dearly, will write me off. I'm not yet prepared for that.

I'm almost getting to my 'prepared' point, though.

DY

• a friend in need
    a friend in need

D Y:

Been there ... done that. When I finally took the plung and left, well, there is no way of describing the deepest pain I've ever experienced as being 'in' was all I'd ever known. The pain dulled a bit over time but I never got over the loss of my close relationship with Jehovah. It is with great pleasure that I say I have that feeling back and hope never to lose it again!

Really know what you want as getting back in is a lot harder than getting out ... believe me! But if you know in your heart that you want out, then that is the right thing for you. Just be sure. Take care ... a friend.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I know in my heart I want out of this religion. Truly.

One of these days I'll just stop going altogether and my relatives will just have to deal with it. I may have to move away in order to cope better. Lately I've even been considering leaving my marriage if that's what's necessary.

I cannot continue to drink water that, although seems be mostly good, has a few drops of poison in it. Do your research and make your own decision. No, better yet, if you really have a close relationship with 'Jehovah' then get the heck out of here.

DY

• talesin
    talesin

Although I left at a young age, I know this.

As a child, I was suicidal. Yes, at 12 I told my mother I just wanted to be dead. And meant it! Life held no choices for me, only rules. I don't remember ever being really happy as a child.

Happiness has been elusive for me due to other issues all mixed in with the shunning. But, life just keeps getting better, and I now have my moments of bliss. Finally!

So, lemme see, suicidal from birth to 18. From 18 on, only getting better?

I must say an unqualified "YES I AM HAPPIER".

• jws
    jws

I am definitely happier now than when I was a JW for so many reasons. I left at 23 and I'm nearing 40 now.

When I was a JW, everything was rules. I had to constantly be on guard as to what I did or said so that no JW heard or saw me doing something I wasn't supposed to. I HATED going in field service and giving talks. I HATED going to meetings. About the only thing I liked was seeing some of my friends at the hall. It was all stress. Stress of doing things I didn't really like to do. Stress to get home in time, to wolf down supper and get to the meeting on Tue/Thu. Never sleeping in on weekends. Stress that I wasn't living up to God's standards and was going to die at Armageddon.

I wanted a normal life. I wanted a wife and kids. But being a JW meant finding a wife limited to a narrow field of choices. Some were super-spiritual in the JW sense and our lack of passion for the faith would have collided. Or else, if they weren't spiritual, they were usually leaving the faith. Hard to find someone in the middle.

After leaving, it was such a relief to be able to sleep in on the weekends. Or come home on a Tuesday or Thursday and not have to rush right off. No more field service. No more talks to give. I could see R-rated movies and keep them in my home without worrying. I could do pretty much what I wanted. I was free to date worldy girls without hiding it. No more fear of the WTS. I also felt free. Isn't that what religion is supposed to do? Free you? The truth about 'The Truth' set me free.

I'm now married to a girl I love. We are very much in sync religiously, politically, and mentally. We have 2 adorable kids.

Sure, my life may not be problem free and I may not always be happy. But when I think of those that are still in, I can only feel sorry for them - for what they are missing out on in life.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

jws, I can relate to a lot of what you posted.

I'm probably happier in some ways, in some ways not. I'm pretty lonely nowadays, but 3 years ago when I was becoming increasingly skeptical and disgusted while being surrounded by robotic JW believers made for some of the most painful loneliness I've ever experienced.

• alias
    alias

Between leaving behind a man-made organization and growing up into an adult on my own terms... I believe so.

The freedom to be who I am without rationalizing. That's what makes me happy.

The past is history.

alias

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    The freedom to be who I am without rationalizing. That's what makes me happy.

Excellent!

• Undaunted Danny
    Undaunted Danny

Of course i am happier but that ain't the point with me.

I squandered my life,money,education,sex-life,family,youth for a 'fraud for god' cult of sleaze.

I demand monetary compensation for damagesThey got it $$$.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit