What's your most annoying phrase?

by ozziepost 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

There are some managers I've worked with who have phrases that become really annoying when they overuse them. Things like prefixing everything with "well, to my mind... ", argh!

They also have corporate lingo like "low hanging fruit" and other nonsense (handy for buzzword bingo)

The phrase I like whenever I hear the word "shepherd" or "shepherds pie" is a Spike Milligan line:

"Are you a spy?"

"No, I'm a shepherd"

"Ah, you're a shepherd-spy!" (shepherds-pie)

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

It always bothered me when people say, "I could care less...". Shouldn't it be "I couldn't care less..."?

• Chloe
    Chloe

When you start a new job and someone says "Welcome aboard." What? I thought this was an office, not a ship.

• Sirona
    Sirona

There was a really "camp" elder who used the SAME PRAYER every time.... and it began with "Our Gracious, Loving, Heavenly Father Jehovah...." the first three words were always emphasised, and "heavenly father jehovah" were muttered quickly. URGH. I bet Fe203grl will remember that.

I hate it when people say "pacificly" instead of "specifically"

Sirona

• Mulan
    Mulan

Here's one: "Now don't take this personally" and then they rip you for some personality trait.

Or: "I don't mean this to be insulting" and then they insult you.

Or: "I don't mean to hurt your feelings" and then they hurt your feelings by what they say.

What is it with those phrases? Do they think they can preface an unkind remark that way and it negates the effect of what they say?

"For all intensive purposes"?
    It is "For all intents and purposes". Makes sense that way. Showing good intentions and a good purpose.
  • SAHS
    SAHS

I always hate it when people make a statement of opinion followed immediately by a phrase such as ?isn?t it?,? ?wouldn?t it?,? or ?don?t you think?? For example: a dub saying, ?So, it?s wise to submit to the faithful and discreet slave because really it?s always for our own good . . . ISN?T IT!?

Such a phrase at the end of a statement is intended to put the listener in an awkward situation where he/she feels forced to agree. This is usually done by a dub who is in a position which is thought of as superior (for example, a father talking to a son/daughter, a husband talking to a wife, an elder talking to a pioneer, etc.). It?s a case of using one?s social ?weight? to their advantage in reinforcing a form of control.

This tactic is certainly annoying and demeaning . . . ISN?T IT! [said with a .44-caliber Magnum semi-automatic pointed about one millimeter from your head] Don?t you just hate that!

?SAHS

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

MY Daughters favorite line forever is "That is so annnnnnnnooyyyyyyyiiinggggggg" No her saying that is annoying

• talesin
    talesin

lol @ doodle

I am so sick of hearing 'knowwhatimsayin'! My friends all know it bugs me. I was talking to one of my buds on the phone the other day, asked him why he forgot we were getting together and missed our coffee date.

He said 'well, sorry, knowwhatimsayin'.

My reply, "Yes, I know what you are saying, can you please say it in English?'

We had a good chuckle. ;)

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I hate the new trend of the way Americans are using the word disrespect.

"He disrepected me!"

"Don't disrepect me."

Didn't it used to be:

He was not respectful to me.

He showed me no respect.

You need to show me respect?

How about when people combine frustrate and flustered to make flustrate? I am so flustrated.

Flyin'

• Larry
    Larry

"I told you so." That phase speaks volumes about a person.

Peace - LL :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit