What's the closest you've ever been to death? ever think "this is it?"

by doodle-v 52 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Last year I had a massive blood clot in my leg, and I was so worried it would travel to my heart or lungs, But thank God they caught it in time, because i could have been a goner with this one. Im on coumadin (anti-coagulant) now and hope it never returns, the cause has yet to be determined by doctors.

Dave

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Yes- I work in the high voltage distribution business and have had sh*t go south on 23,000 volts... Up close and personal a time or two.

A couple of weeks ago I got hung up on a horse... by my neck... survival mode kicks in fast... when he went to buckin I got real concerned about gettin that piggin string undone....that has to be the longest 15 seconds if spent in a while.

And I've had a gun or two pointed at me in anger...and in earnest.... you get really lucid in those cases.

I figure if your "life flashes before your eyes" you aint payin attention to the present situation.... suvival mode kicks in and you get busy problem solving.

--------------Hill (boring life class?)

• DocBob
    DocBob

I got zapped with 400 volts of the interlock of the door to the final power amp tube of a 1 Kw transmitter on the ship I was on. It threw me across the room up against a file cabinet. As I slipped to the floor I saw a gray curtain coming down. I remember very clearly thinking "This is is, I'm gone." No fear, no sorrow, just a calm acceptance. I was quite surprised when I woke up right there in the radio room. No major changes, but my right arm was sore for a week.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Doc- what's up long time no post!

Glad to see your around!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The closest I ever came was a bad case of blood poisoning that I contracted working as a dishwasher, this was when I was 17 years old. My mom noticed how the vein along my arm was getting red and swollen leading away from a cut on my thumb, the emergency room doc said it could have been curtains had it reached my heart. Wow!

I had a gun held to my head once when I was working as a waiter in a restaurant, but something about the guy holding the gun led me to believe that he wasn't going to kill me, he just wanted money. He didn't have the eyes of a killer.

This is a great thread! Makes you realize that death is constantly lurking for all of us.

• AlanF
    AlanF

One time I was licking an envelope and got a paper cut on my tongue.

AlanF

• Larry
    Larry

Ohio - Whew, that was a close call. Nice to have you here and now :)

LL.

• neverthere
    neverthere

When I was 2/3 my cousin pushed me in the lake at the cottage and I can still remember going under the water, it getting darker and darker, then losing consciousness.

Then there was the time my father hit me on the head with the claw end of a hammer, he wouldn't let my mother take me to the hospital cause he was "too upset" to deal with it, she thought I was going to go into a coma/die if she didn't, thank heavens she had some nursing training, I ended up ok (well mostly).

Then there was the time I gave birth to my first child, I hemmoraged and mum and the doc thought that they were going to lose me.

The last time was when my appendix burst and they left me for 3 days before they operated, I technically should be dead from that one but thank heavens the goddess was watching out for me!

Diana

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I wasn't even awake for the two closest, once in surgery...once at 17 from alcohol poisoning (quit breathing both times).

I've had guns pointed at me...wrecks...bombs blowing up over head...unprotected sex with strangers

• Pinned Blouse
    Pinned Blouse

I have had many close calls and most of them involves someone smashing their multi-ton car into mine. One accident a few years ago left a bruise from shoulder to waist from the seat belt stopping me from going through the windshield.

I have had my motorcycle license for 4 years now and I am scared to death to buy 2 wheels when others take great delight in hitting me in 4.

PB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit