What's the closest you've ever been to death? ever think "this is it?"

by doodle-v 52 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

I almost drowned in a wet spot one time doodlebug

Almost 2 years ago I was on Lake Shasta with a couple of buddies, each of us on Seadoo's. One guy took off in front of me then came back at me to splash me I guess and we each thought the other was turning a different way. I did a 180 (half turn) to miss him but he didn't miss. His wetbike hit mine,and rode over the top of mine and hit me in the back. I was airlifted to Mercy Medical Center with 3 broke ribs, and a bubble on my lung. I thought I was biting the big one when he hit me and I came to in the water (passed out for just a few seconds)

I didn't nearly die........but could have if his bike would have hit me more direct in my back. He would have broke me in half I think. When I came to in the water, I at first thought my gas tank exploded and there would be my body parts scattered around. It was loud. It was a close one.

Gumby

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

My brother stabbed me in the back. Thank god for ribcages...

CZAR

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

(((((AlanF)))))

• jgnat
    jgnat

Sheila, thank God for those guardian angles! Heaven forbid you end up a square!

I forgot to mention how Naomi's birth changed me. The grass is greener, the sky is bluer, and life is good!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Good grief Some of you have really been too close

I was almost in a head on collision. All I could think was I had to get home for my girls.

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

{{{{{{{{{ALL OF YOU}}}}}}}}}

Glad everyone is still here to be able to talk about their stories! It makes me realize that you never know what's going to happen at any given moment, and reinforces the value of being as good as one can, and show love, cause you never know when you will not have the chance anymore.

• Celtic
    Celtic

Many a time

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

Yeah, been close a few times. The most recent was a couple of years ago, vacationing in Florida. We were somewhere in the Ft. Myers area, buzzing up I-75 at about 75 or 80 MPH. When we crested an overpass, we saw that traffic in front of us was at a near standstill because of road construction. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, because with concrete on one side of our lane and traffic blocking the other side, there was nowhere to go. I reached the end of the concrete barrier just in time, and came to a stop in the median. No damage, no injuries .. but it scared the bejesus out of us.

The closest I've ever come was when I grabbed a pair of live wires as a small child. The resulting electrical burns cost me two fingers and about 8 weeks in the hospital for surgery, skin grafts, monitoring, recovery, etc.

• Cassiline
    Cassiline
    Re: What's the closest you've ever been to death?

While in the JW religion, not allowed to think, feel and hardly have any breathing room.

I have been mostly due to surgery (emergency life saving surgery as well) and that of coming out from under the drugs they adminster to keep you asleep. One of the last times the faces on the nurses and doctors were so grim I thought for sure I was a gonner--not to mention how I felt--when I was conscience. It was scary. Seconds seemed like hours and the sheer fear I felt from the team of nurses and doctors is one I never wish to feel again. Also the hurried atmosphere about them was painful and scary. Last time it took about 5 long hours to get my stats up to the point where I was out of danger after surgery.

Cassi

• LongHauler
    LongHauler

I've only had one instance where I thought I might die. I was heading down I-45 just south of Corsicana, TX very early in the morning on my way home to Houston. It had been raining very lightly and as I rounded a curve the truck lost traction (In oil on the road I think). I went into the soft ground next to the shoulder and the trailer started to jacknife. My steer tires found their way back to the road and I began bouncing sideways down the freeway. I really thought the Truck was going to flip. The only thing that saved me was the load I had on. 42,000 pounds of Kraft cheese. It was stacked low in trailer thus lowering the center of gravity. Plus the landing gear on the trailer was hitting the road surface everytime it bounced. In the end it was more embarassing than anything since my truck and trailer were blocking both southbound lanes while we waited for a tow truck.

LH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit