Is Virginity All It's Crack'd Up To Be?

by Englishman 77 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well?

Seems to me that in the JW religion, virginity is considered to be an essential requirement for the born-into-its, right up until the time that they get married.

Seems to me also, that the JW religion, while condemning fornication generally, sets greater store on females remaining intacto, as opposed to males, what with references to "old towels that any man can wipe his hands on" and the like. Very patriarchal.

Seems to me also that someone who is intacto on their wedding day is gonna be a lot more curious about sex after the big day, if only by wondering what it would be like with another partner. If someone is not intacto on the big day, they are, IMHO, far more likely to settle into a faithful relationship with their chosen lover for life.

Heh. How many disatrous marriages have started with one partner wondering: "Is this really the only person that I am ever going to have sex with for ever and ever"?

Euww!

Englishman.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I think maintaining virginity until marriage increases the chances of the marriage being unhappy. Marriage is a serious thing, and certain qualifications should be met before a person should be allowed (licensed) to be married.

To drive a car a test must be passed. Many people take driving lessons before taking a test. Why should marriage be any different?

I think sex education should be available to everyone once they reach the legal age of consent. It should be mandatory for people wanting to get married. This education should include practical "hands on" experience. Only when a person reaches an acceptable level of sexual proficiency should they be granted a license. By then they would also know their likes and dislikes.

I'm sure there would be fewer cases of sexual incompatability if things were done this way.

Walter

• Paradise Found
    Paradise Found

I think the trick Is ..... "Virginity" Is remaining faithful In marriage:

Then you have a better chance of a happy marriage. What went on before who cares? Its adolecence and shit down the shirt.

A marriage is built on not who we used to be but who we are tomorrow . I mean we all want better than yesterday Dont we?ยด

A good marriage fights It out and WINS. A good marriage Is a Unhappy marriage turning Good. A good marriage Is two people living without religon or guidannce, but with Independence and love 2 people who respect each other :

A good marrige is a baby on the way. Or a can of beer on a saturday night. A good marriage is accepting each others weaknesses and strengths and loving her more than when you new the real her ?

• tazmaniac
    tazmaniac

There are many criterion for a good marriage mate. Good with money, good with kids, honest, hard working, good hygiene. How in the hell do you know if the sex you are going to have for the rest of your life is going to be any good? You always test drive a car before you buy it. You dont ask how many have test driven it before you.

• blondie
    blondie

I see this is a male/female viewpoint.

I see that the woman risks a lot more when she gives up her virginity.

Modern world that it is, it is still the woman that ends up pregnant.

Then there is the ugly fact of STDs, AIDS and herpes, the gift that keeps giving.

By test driving, I think you mean you are serious about purchasing that car and are not just taking it for a joy ride when you don't have the means to pay for the car.

Isn't it amazing how many words there are for a woman who sleeps with many men and so few negative ones for men who do the same.

I hate analogies that compare women to something to be purchased.

Blondie (just a few personal thoughts, not a personal accusation)

• jaredg
    jaredg

actually statistics show that waiting until marriage to have sex increases a marriages chance of survival. also living w/ your to be mate before marriage increases the chance of divorce. i'm not sure what the corelation is....it's just some facts i remember from my social pysch class.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    By test driving, I think you mean you are serious about purchasing that car and are not just taking it for a joy ride when you don't have the means to pay for the car.

Absolutely! I agree with Blondie on this - it seems to me that if there is a debate over the mainitaining virginity, it's the females who're the losers. We haven't come too far with our freedom, have we?

Ozzie

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I hate analogies that compare women to something to be purchased.

This is not a male/female thing, though there may be a greater percentage of one sex or another with prevailing views.

The analogy is not woman = car. The analogy is between a successful sex and married life and a successful car buying/ownership experience. It is just as valid whether you're talking about a man or a woman. If you think women are less likely than men to feel that they just have to experience more than one sex partner in life, I think you are wrong.

Good topic E-man. Another point often overlooked is the broad social hypocracy. A 10 year old could reason out that a person is not a completely different being after simply having had sex. It changes very little, except ones level of sexual experience. Why do we lie and tell our kids (and ourselves) otherwise.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    actually statistics show that waiting until marriage to have sex increases a marriages chance of survival. also living w/ your to be mate before marriage increases the chance of divorce. i'm not sure what the corelation is....it's just some facts i remember from my social pysch class.

People who wait until they are married to share a natural expression of love are more likely to have a social background where divorce is unacceptable - hence lower divorce rates. Staying together because you cannot separate is not the same as having a happy successful relationship.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Absolutely! I agree with this - it seems to me that if there is a debate over the mainitaining virginity, it's the females who're the losers. We haven't come too far with our freedom, have we?

poppycock. We've come light years with our freedom. Females are absolutely NOT the losers. A bad relationship, or even a bad sex life in an otherwise OK relationship, sucks for a woman every bit as it does for a man.

If now, you begin spouting WT inspired rhetoric about how, if the male and female play their respective roles lovingly, any sex problems will be overcome, I will find you and shoot you in the head. I think the past several thousand years join me in SCREAMING "ENOUGH ALREADY!".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit