My Brother Begged Me To Come Back To Jehovah & His Organization!!!

by minimus 69 Replies latest jw friends

• SwordOfJah
    SwordOfJah

I don't know about you minimus, but I would be pissed if anyone dissed my brother the way these posters do. It's my view that even if I were to criticize my family, I would never allow anyone else to muddy their name or intelligence.

• talesin
    talesin

Minimus, arggh, this family stuff is so hard, it's filled with shades of grey. Pity, anger, sorrow, but remember, those emotions are a part of life. In the long run, you will experience more of the joy, and the sheer bliss that freedom brings.

Yes SoJ, I call that 'blind loyalty'. It's the same quality that leads people to practice shunning.

To me, it's funny when folks say that. "I can diss my family, but you can't!" So you have the right to be mean and nasty to your siblings, is that the privileges that blood brings? yes, you sound *just* like my 'loving' brother ...

peace

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    but I would be pissed if anyone dissed my brother the way these posters do

Reminds me of the time in high school when some bozo called my mother a slut. Then I agreed with him.

That shut him up.

Min, even though this note is addressed to you I hear it as your brother really talking to himself. It's as though what you are doing is touching something deep inside him and it's frightening to him, so he whips out the old tried-and-true JW guilt. But really he's doing that to himself, so he does not even allow himself to ask why or look at your motivations. He would rather cut you off than listen to you or have you be an exJW in front of him. It's too frightening to him, he can't handle it.

I suspect he has some doubts and questions of his own, that he doesn't even allow himself to think about, so he treats you as he treats himself. His mindset is that it is better to repress any thought or feeling, no matter the cost. Someone who does that shows how little they actually believe what they say they believe.

Hang in there.

Chris

• jukief
    jukief

Well, Minimus, at least your brother cares enough about you to make an attempt to "save" you. My asshole brother, who was just becoming an elder when I quit the dubs in 1984 and is now a CO, never made any attempt to "help" me. He just started shunning me because I "left Jehovah" (in other words, I stopped going to meetings). I think the fact that your brother is trying to "help" you, no matter how misguided, is kind of touching. He must care about you so some extent! It takes a lot of effort to write a seven-page letter! :-) It's been many years now since my JW brother and sister started shunning me. It was very painful at first, but as the years have passed it's gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me a bit. I rarely think about them. I think it's *their* loss that they don't get to have fun with my apostate sister and me and our parents (who have never taken sides). It's odd, but the two JW siblings aren't close at all, while my non-JW sister and I are really close.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I would be pissed if anyone dissed my brother the way these posters do.

The way I see it, it's not my job to defend my family members. They have that responsibility. However, it's my job to defend myself.

Also SOJ, is the word "pissed" in the bible?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Funny how jws like using words like "pissed" and, in the case of a close relative of mine who is a die-hard jw "shit".

A bit hypocrtical me thinks.

Pure Language Class

• minimus
    minimus

My niece told my wife yesterday that her mother cannot understand why she ONLY attended 2 days of the convention. When my niece told her mother that she had 2 panic attacks and HAD to leave the assembly and talked to her doctor/therapist about this, the shrink asked her why she would go back for a 3rd time. Her mom then questioned why she was making fewer meetings, and that she should stick around to associate with others. My niece said, "I should wait for the maybe, 2 people that might come by and say hi?"....THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!!!!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Again, SOJ has picked out one little side issue to blab about and ignores the reall issue of the thread. Well, he's good for a laugh. Bug

• minimus
    minimus

Shutterbug, that's why I ignored his comment. It was silly. (If anyone is dissing my brother---it's me).

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

I'm sorry you ar going thru this minimus. It sounds like you are handling it pretty well, though. It's never easy, but at least you are probably in a solid place, emotionally, where you can handle it better than if he sprung this on you before you got a chance to really understand how wrong they are about everything. Who knows, maybe he will someday figure it all out and reconcile with you... At least your niece sounds like she might be on the right track.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit