Report: U.S. Mistakenly fires on Wedding Party in Iraq

by dubla 88 Replies latest social current

• heathen
    heathen

Yeru --- I thought the whole point of the excursion was to liberate the Iraqi people from tyranny and bring westernized justice to the middle east . The US even went so far as to condemn Saddam for killing civilians but now the US can do it without any condemnation ? What a friggen hypocrite . The military is not the justice system and has no right to condemn people to death just because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time .

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Heathen : What a friggen hypocrite. The military is not the justice system and has no right to condemn people to death just because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time .

Right !

• rem
    rem

>> The military is not the justice system and has no right to condemn people to death just because they are in the wrong place at the wrong time .

Let's not be silly. A military that can kill bad guys with zero collateral damage only exists in your imagination. We are dealing with the real world here.

That being said, the latest news coming out about this incident is making the wedding claims look mighty suspicious. I say we take neither side as gospel just yet (or ever). I think its premature to be accusing the US military of killing innocent people here.

rem

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Rem : Let's not be silly. A military that can kill bad guys with zero collateral damage only exists in your imagination. We are dealing with the real world here.

That was I guess a global statement (not sur but I think)

Rem : I think its premature to be accusing the US military of killing innocent people here.

No, it is too late (it is true since de begining - this war was based on false accusation)

but I guess we are not really talking about the same thing (you : the details / me : the bases) I can agree on coherent details (cause even US dead soldiers are somehow innocent victimes) but I can't agree on the bases of this war.

• rem
    rem

Whether you agree with the basis of the war or not, the deaths of innocent civillians has most probably decreased. Instead of thousands of innocent civillians being slowly starved to death, hundreds are now being killed in military operations and by terrorist bombings. Any innocent person dying is sad, but in a world where you can only choose between the lesser of two evils, I think less dead is better than more. That is my opinion and I'm sure others have differing views.

Hopefully the job can be finished as quickly as possible with the least amount of carnage as possible. I don't see any point in arguing that it shouldn't have happened when it already has. Now we need to focus on doing it the most humane way possible.

rem

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    A military that can kill bad guys with zero collateral damage only exists in your imagination. We are dealing with the real world here.

Even in the real world, the military should be concious of the need not to kill innocent people. In this particular case, the term "proportionality" comes into play. There obviously was none.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface
    Rem : I don't see any point in arguing that it shouldn't have happened when it already has.

The point is : NEVER AGAIN PLEASE ... THANK YOU IN ADVANCE (is it a good purpose enough ?)

Rem : Now we need to focus on doing it the most humane way possible.

Sure

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Now we need to focus on doing it the most humane way possible.

Whatever "it" is, our leadership does not have what it takes to accomplish "it". That they started "it" in the first place, with some vague notion of our military might magically accomplishing what military might cannot accomplish, with resources it does not have, paid for with money we can't afford to lose, is proof of their rank incompetance.

They are treasonous, even if only by reason of stupidity.

• heathen
    heathen

rem--- That kind of reasoning is reprehensible . The act itself is a violation of what humane stands for . True the facts are not in on this case but this type of thing was reported earlier . I simply cannot justify things the way you people do on the basis of, our intentions are good so it makes it right .

• rem
    rem

Six,

>> Even in the real world, the military should be concious of the need not to kill innocent people. In this particular case, the term "proportionality" comes into play. There obviously was none.

This is speculation because we do not know the whole facts of the case. The last report I saw even indicated that the video footage of dead children was from a completely different event. I believe the military is conscious of the need to not kill innocent people - that's why they have rules of engagement. If those rules of engagement can be improved, I'm all for it. If the soldiers need better training to correctly implement the current rules, then I'm for that as well.

>> Whatever "it" is, our leadership does not have what it takes to accomplish "it"

The history books aren't written yet. We'll see. Whether "it" (democratizing an Arab Muslim State aka Nation Building) is finished by this administration or another, the next generation will either see Bush as a hero or a crackpot. I think it's too early to tell now, just as it was too early to tell during the nation building exercizes in Japan and Germany.

Hopefully, no matter what the outcome, the many mistakes made will be recorded in those history books so they will not be forgotten lest future generations begin to repeat them.

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit