To the Defenders of George Bush and the War in Iraq

by Greenpalmtreestillmine 208 Replies latest social current

• Realist
    Realist
    Because generally supporters of our President, our troops and the war are not as mouthy and pushy as those that oppose. That's a fact in most cases, regardless of the topic.

it is quite natural that the opposition protests. after all thats their only chance to change the course of action taken by the government. why would government supporters protest? they don't have to if they agree with the politics.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Would you be willing, if possible, to volunteer to fight in Iraq?

ABSOLUTELY ON A DIME! I am sick and tired of our troops getting killed over there by those barbarians and if I could help them by fighting with them I would.

Are you encouraging your children or grandchildren to volunteer and fight?

ABSOLUTELY NOT! However, If my children were involved in gangbanging then I would tell them to go to Iraq and fight for something instead.

I can't imagine that any mother of father wants to see their children or grandchildren go to war. But I do know many who have children and grandchildren in Iraq and they support them 100% and want this thing over asap and pray they come home safe.

• Englishman
    Englishman

My Grandfather fought in the Dardanelles during WW1. (Not the Somme, as I once mistaklnly stated)

My Dad was in the RAF and flew 43 missions over Germany. He later regretted this and this regret was what actually tipped him into the JW's.

My nephew is a soldier, he's in Basra, Iraq at this moment.

Englishman.

• Realist
    Realist

englishman,

My Grandfather fought in the Dardanelles during WW1.

goallipoli? ouch!

My Dad was in the RAF and flew 43 missions over Germany. He later regretted this and this regret was what actually tipped him into the JW's.
    My nephew is a soldier, he's in Basra, Iraq at this moment.

with this history why didn't someone in your faamily stop him!?!?!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I would love to be out there in Iraq helping with the rebuilding or doing other stuff - to all those who are start trek fans when Q first put the Enterprise in the path of the Borg cube --- they lost 18 crew men and Q said to Picard " If you can not take a little bloody nose now and again you should not be out here exploring space -- there are wonders out here both grotesque and otherwise to satiate you"

I am sorry there have always been wars and in wars people die -- if you want to live forever in a paradise on earth, become a Jehovahs Witness again

• talesin
    talesin
    Because generally supporters of our President, our troops and the war are not as mouthy and pushy as those that oppose.

RevMalk, have you not been reading much here (?) ... check some of the other threads.

green,

You have obviously *touched a nerve*. I for one see the point of this thread - you are trying to make people *think*.

to the group,

Having known people who have experienced 'war' - WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Nicaragua, El Salvador, trust me, no one really wants their kids or grandkids in Iraq. Their emotional lives will be SCREWED. There are some on this board whose kids are in the military, or are in the military themselves and I would never want them to feel I am attacking them personally (I'm thinking about SheilaM and Thunder, and also Yeru in particular at this moment). We all do what we feel is right.

It's important for those of us who do not support this invasion to work in our communities not just for peace in the middle east, but for social change and justice EVERY DAY OF OUR LIVES. If we do not, then we should just shut our big mouths and continue with our self-absorbed lives, not *really* caring about the poor, the disenfranchised and the downtrodden.

Although I am not for this war, I also am very aware that many who are on 'the left', do NOT actively pursue what they claim are their ideals. How many are out there volunteering in their communities????

I KNOW that most who support Bush do it because they want to see justice and freedom in Iraq. Just because I think they are being misled does not mean I think they are EVIL. They, too, are out there helping, working at shelters, giving to charities, being a good, supportive friend. Let's not demonize folks just because they hold a different opinion on this matter.

I say, NO MORE LIP SERVICE! Put your money where your mouth is, both the left AND the right.

Many of you are doing this already, this I know. Just a reminder to those others who are really good at talking the talk, but sit on their butts doing absolutely nothing!!! YOU know who you are.

talesin

(hell, I'm exhausted, going to have a nap ---- BTW HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE, may the chocolate be with you!!!)

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I agree completely.

A friend of a friend was just killed in Anbar. I realized then that I need to put my money where my mouth is. I'm working on joining up. I'm studying my options right now - looks like the Navy Intel might be the best fit for my personality and skills.

But Green brings up a valid point - if I support the war, and can go, why am I not? I have no answer except to shrug, say that she has a point, and I will follow through.

But even if I DID join the military, would it necessarily mean that I would be in the line of fire? No. The Army and the Marines are taking most of the hits over there, and I don't think I'm physically strong enough to join either of those outfits. Does that mean I am less ready, even now, to sacrifice my life if I thought it would help protect this country that I love? The way of life that I value, where folks of different races and religions can live in mutual tolerance and respect? the fanatical Muslims call us "polytheists" because we tolerate other gods in our country. Do you know that means that they can kill us with impunity, according to the Koran? Corporate, schmorporate, this is our entire "polytheistic" civilization that they want to overwhelm and destroy!

Well, ask yourself, Green, if you were on a plane with the hijackers steering it, would you use violence in an attempt to wrest control? Or would you still cling to your pacifist ideals? And if somebody, knowing the consequences of inaction, tried his best to wrest control and failed, and the plane crashed - as it did just fifty miles from where I live - would you go down blaming the hijackers who brought the situation upon us, or the men who did their best to fix it and reduce the potential consequences? So are you going to blame the cesspool of violence in the Middle East and the repressive dictatorships that spawn endless supplies of desperate young men - or Bush for doing his best (despite his corporate ties ) to correct the situation that threatens ALL of us, hippy and neocon, Jew and Palestinian, alike?

CZAR

• RevMalk
    RevMalk
    hmm, Rev, I was replying to Green...

unless the 2 of you are in on this together....lol

Don't be stupid bisous, I was agreeing with you and also replying to green.

it is quite natural that the opposition protests. after all thats their only chance to change the course of action taken by the government. why would government supporters protest? they don't have to if they agree with the politics.

And that's why I made that statement Realist.

RevMalk, have you not been reading much here (?) ... check some of the other threads.
    That's why I said "Generally" talesin. Rev

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    Would you be willing, if possible, to volunteer to fight in Iraq?

Yes, I will be going to Iraq at the end of this month. I have been in the military for 9 years.

Heatmiser

The Coastal Patrol Class

• bisous
    bisous

doh, rev, after rereading your post I caught that drift.....oh well, just because I missed it doesn't really make me stupid then, does it?

more like negligent for not reading carefully.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit