To Dubs and Newly Ex-Dubs

by Farkel 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

I'd like to do a little informal survey. I'm wondering how many pieces of literature are actually distributed to the public. Not how many pieces are REPORTED placed, but actually placed. When I was a dub over thirty years ago we nearly had to beg the public to take that crap without having to contribute a penny for them. This included books. More often than not, the public would refuse even if they were offered for free. Smart people that public. We got to keep whatever contributions we were given. Hell, on a good five hour day of door-to-door work, we'd usually get enough to almost buy a cup of coffee. That is, if we pooled all contributions we received.

Whenever the CO would visit and see us do it, he would discourage the practice with the argument that the public would only see value in the literature if they paid something for it. He did not tell us it was crap whether people paid for it or not.

I'll be the first to admit I often fudged on my placement numbers when I was pioneering. I wonder how widespread this fudging is today. It was difficult to fake Bible studies, because elders and COs would often want to accompany us on them. That was a great way for them to pick up an hour of time, while sitting on their butts and doing nothing, except to expound once in a while. I know of dubs who had several studies, all of them fake. They knew the homes where no one would ever be at home during the day, and so even if an elder tagged along, no one would answer the door. "They must have forgotten our study today," would be they excuse offered.

Given the pressure to perform (or else), I wonder how many dubs today fudge on placements and return visits. Not to mention hours. Did you?

It would interesting for someone to annualize the number of Watchtowers and Awakes printed and then compare it with the annual reported placements for same. This would yield the absolute minimum number of mags that are heaved in the trash where they belonged in the first place.

Subtract from the number of placements some sort of percent to allow for lies on the field service report and we could determine what percent of placements are made compared with the total printed.

If we also subtract the number of magazines tossed into laundromats as dubs go running by at top speed, that would probably reduce "placements" by another 25%! Not to mention magazines stuffed in doors and left on porches when no one is at home.

The net number remaining subtracted from the total printed and factored into how many trees it took to create essentially trash littering the world, would give us an idea of how much the WTS cares for the environment they are destroying to keep the cash coming in for themselves and their pet projects.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

And what will this survey prove? Nothing. This "survey" is a waste of time folks.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: And what will this survey prove? Nothing. This "survey" is a waste of time folks.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and for unsuccessfully trying to bait me. I'm not trying to "prove" anything, and never said I was, so go back to your own threads and manage them. You must have at least 500 of them going right now, so why take a shit in one of the very few that I start?

At the very least, I'm interested in how many dubs and ex-dubs were not exactly honest on their field service reports.

Farkel

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    And what will this survey prove? Nothing. This "survey" is a waste of time folks.

Gee Minimus, a little harsh, don't you think? I never thought we were here to "prove" anything.

• talesin
    talesin

Well, I've been out for a while, but thought you might find this interesting.

In 12 years of regular, dedicated FS (a couple of them as a pine-ear), I never once 'placed' a book nor did I ever have a 'bible study'. And it wasn't for lack of trying. No one was interested. !!

As for the fudging of mags/time, well I was one of the TGTBT ones who truly believed, never lied etc. However, it was considered 'kosher' to start time by making a quick return visit before driving to territory, so you could count the 1/2 hour or so travelling time. We had a lot of country territory in my last congo.

tal

• Urbanparadise
    Urbanparadise

I often used to put in the odd hour and mag-pair placement on my report. Usually I never recorded the figures so would make up some numbers when book study elder was collecting reports at the end of the month.

When I was fading all the numbers were fake - just to keep the secretary happy - didn't want hassel then.

Now I must be marked "inactive". At least I get a lie-in at weekends! : )

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Hi Fark!

There's ONE thing that's been proven; that I was even a bigger devalued slave than most others in the WTS........I was honest with my placements (or lack of them) and reporting my time! Had I KNOWN that folks were padding the amounts of one or each of these things, I would have probably done the same!

When I didn't have much time to report (when we USED to have 60 minutes to report it) I might have said an hour when I could only squeeze 55 minutes..and I made sure I did the extra 5 minutes the NEXT month before I began counting that month's time. LOL!

I always felt that Jehovah was "watching" everything I did or said or thought, and KNEW how much "time " I had..........

Whatta JERK I was....

hugs,

Annie..............of the "afraid of the evil Watchtowergod" class

• wednesday
    wednesday

at one time i would have never thought of doing anything like that, but toward the end i did just put in few hours(reasoning i must have spoke about jehovah at least 3 hours this month-why id u break that donw to 30days that is only 6 minutes a day.also i would leave mags in apt laundry rooms and guess at the number. So it was too accurate. Eventually i just became inactive and forgot it.

• minimus
    minimus

There's no way of knowing how much literature was either placed or reported. Too simple....

• Nadsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit