My Story... please don't freak out on me...

by Big Shooter 108 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Big Shooter
    Big Shooter

We have a circuit assmebly coming up this weekend, and we dont even want to go... plus the memorial. I mean, its these rules people impose. Its wrong for my son to see scooby doo because of spiritism yet its okay for their child to see the hulk with all its violence. Hello !!! You cant speak to worldly people even if they are family, its only okay when they start to becocme a witness. How can you take an interest people on the condition that they are a witness?? You have to shun any worldly family because they are bad association!! yet there are so many people in the organization who are worse than them, but they are supposed to be your spiritual family !! so many things...

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Wow, the two of you have been through an awful lot! First, welcome to the board! Second, I applaud you and your wife on making your relationship work, even after the mistake you had made. Not many couples can pull through something like that.

All the pressure that was put on the two of you from the elders is horrible. Shepherding calls don't help the situation, they intensify the problems that are already going on.

As far as being apostate goes, you cannot be apostate for having feelings that are a reaction to bad treatment. If you deny the way you feel, you're only going to end up a depressed, heartless robot. Listen to your feelings, they aren't lying. There is definately something wrong with the way you've been treated. It was unfair and cruel.

I hope you gain much help from this message board. Again, Welcome!

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

Hey Big Shooter,

I think we were all afraid at first, but there is nothing to fear and everything to gain.

You are not alone here. You thoughts, concerns and questions are welcome here.

• Big Shooter
    Big Shooter

EXACTLY!! My dad was been harassing me for years about meetings.. finally about 2 months ago I stood up to him for the first time. i yelled at him.. 26 years of holding it in. Rushing like a lunatic every tues nite from work to get to tthe meeting. i asked him, dad if i were to leave the truth, would you shun me? he couldnt answer. that was very hurtful. its that paranoia that you are a complete letdown... i know the truth shouldnt be like this, and jehovah is a loving god. i mean, whenever someone in the hall isnt a pioneer anymore, the whole congregation is silent, as thought he did thte most horrible thing, instead of thanking him for his years of service, you are a screwup. Unbelievable...

• Mulan
    Mulan

Welcome to our forum. There are lots of young couples here, and I hope you are able to meet with some. More than anything else, talking to others who are like you, helps so much.

You've been through a lot, and the ravaging of your personal life by the elders, is unforgiveable. It's their job, but I think they enjoy it a little too much.

Not all parents are unforgiving and unaccepting. I realize that many are, these days, but I know lots of others whose children have left the WTS and they still have an active relationship. I am not disfellowshipped but my brother has been since 1978. My mother has never shunned him for a minute, and loves him and talks to him all the time. I know she is sad that we left the congregation, but it hasn't made a difference in our relationship.

• Big Shooter
    Big Shooter

thank you mulan... the sad and scary thing is, we've stopped going to meetings for a few weeks now, and to be honest, its a huge relief!! less stress!! i mean, i can never forget what i learned and the principles you learn are good.. but i feel right now we need a break to sort things out. i mean i got baptized at 12 years old.. once again pressure, my best friend was getting baptized that same day. but looking back, it wasnt heartfelt...

• amac
    amac

Welcome Big Shooter! The only thing people might freak out on is the lack of spacing and paragraphs in your post, it's an eye work out!

I'm sorry you have had such difficulty. It's interesting, when you write down your experiences, it is much easier to then read them and be objective about all that is wrong within the "wonderful" organization. But while it is happening, you are so burdened down with guilt and pressure that you can't see the UNChrist-like attitudes.

My wife and I did not have the negative experiences that you have, but we did start having doubts and so we did exactly what the WT says to do. We did more personal bible study on these doubts, but did not limit ourselves to only WT pubs. Since then we have come to our own conclusions and are at the tail end of a fade away from being JWs.

The first thing you might want to think about is that the Society does NOT equal Jehovah. The term "Faithful and Discreet Slave" is seldom used in the bible and when it is, it is in the form of a parable with multiple outcomes, NOT the form of a prophecy about a group of men dictating beliefs to the rest of God's people.

Once you start to step back you will see that the dogmatism of the Society is absolutely absurd! They are more Pharisee-like than they are Christ-like.

Realising this can help you be more objective about what you do and don't believe, without fear of going "against" what the Society says.

I have no problem with the WT coming to some of the crazy conclusions and beliefs that they do, what bothers me is that you HAVE to go along with it. If an elder says otherwise, ask him what would happen if you repeatedly raised your hand and pointed out alternate beliefs for things like 1914, the cross, 144,000 being literal, F &DS not being a prophesy, etc.

This web board is a good place to get some opposing and alternate viewpoints.

Remember truth has nothing to hide. If someone tells you NOT to read certain types of books for fear of swaying you, then ask them how do you know you are not just being "swayed" by them if you are so easily influenced. Good luck and please feel free to post any questions or thoughts you might have.

• avishai
    avishai

Welcome.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    We have a circuit assmebly coming up this weekend, and we dont even want to go... plus the memorial. I mean, its these rules people impose. Its wrong for my son to see scooby doo because of spiritism yet its okay for their child to see the hulk with all its violence. Hello !!! You cant speak to worldly people even if they are family, its only okay when they start to becocme a witness. How can you take an interest people on the condition that they are a witness?? You have to shun any worldly family because they are bad association!! yet there are so many people in the organization who are worse than them, but they are supposed to be your spiritual family !! so many things...

And that is why it is called a Cult. WELCOME!

• Valis
    Valis

Yo Big S! Sounds like you are carrying along with life just fine!...BUT, and you know there is always one getting in the way...*LOL*...You prolly still have feelings you want to talk about and that's what we're here for! Welcome to the board...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit