Hamas Founder DEAD

by Yerusalyim 119 Replies latest social current

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Are we ignoring the fact that Israel finally took out Ahmed Yassin, the founder of Hamas, which has killed so many innocent people?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4575552/

My opinion...What took so long? There will be hell to pay for a while though.

• Simon
    Simon

Hey, they blew up a near-blind quadriplegic in a wheel-chair. They must be so proud.

I'm sure it will bring the Israelis lots of peace and security ...

I wonder, will you think it's a good thing if the terrorist leader Ariel Sharon is assassinated who has killed so many innocent people?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Simon,

The old blind parapalegic is responsible for at least 54 Homicide Bombers murdering innocent people, and both Palestinians and Israelis died in those attacks...how do you even begin to attempt to justify that?

Sharon...we can talk about him later if you'd like.

I still love ya....SMOOCHES

Yeru

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Are we ignoring the fact that Israel finally took out Ahmed Yassin, the founder of Hamas, which has killed so many innocent people?

No But I am.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Just another depressing chapter that will inflame things further.

• talesin
    talesin

Yeru

I saw this on the news. To be honest, I just don't know what to think... this situation is such a mess, and goes back so many years.

A few years back, when I had made friends with some Syrian-Canadians, I decided to do some reading about the 'middle-East situation'. I went to the local Library, took out a bunch of books to get an historical perspective. It took a lot of study and reading just to get a small grasp of what's happened over there in the past century or so.

I also had a boyfriend grew up as an Orthodox Jew. He had visited Israel when he was twenty. He was no sooner off the plane, than he was conscripted into the Israeli army and forced to do border patrols. Within 3 weeks, he was shot by a tracer bullet, and spent the remainder of his 'holiday' in hospital. Did you know that every Israeli MUST serve in the military? And that, as a Jew, he was considered a 'citizen' as soon as he touched Israeli soil, thus his conscription? He came back bitterly disillusioned with his homeland, as did another person I knew, a classmate of mine from high school.

The questions I ask of myself: Doesn't Israel deserve a homeland? On the other hand, the land was taken from the Palestinians and they had no say in the matter ...

The argument just goes on and on in my mind, it's hard to know what is right and what is wrong. The roots of this struggle go deep. The Arab world was long a tribal culture, and nothing has been the same for them ever since the French first 'colonized' (love that word, it sounds much better than conquered, I guess) centuries ago. How do we solve this crisis of modern times? Good question.

tal

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

When I heard the news this morning, I thought about it for a while and all I could conclude is, what a GD mess! Both sides have been duking it out so long that I have a hard time applauding either side?s little victories.

RE: the idea of ?colonization?, I wonder how keen I would be if some nation would come to the USA and start forcing citizens here to let Native Americans reclaim control of land they once had before ?colonization? by Europeans.

I?m fresh outta dub-dumb, so maybe that comment is naïve and I?m sure that is not fully analogous to what is going on in Israel. But I do try to put myself in another?s shoes and can see how both sides would be upset at the way things currently are in Israel.

I don?t have much of a vested interest in any of this right now in my life so won?t get into a political argument w/anyone. It is interesting to hear the different sides to the argument though.

alt

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

xjw_b12,

When good men do nothing evil prospers...that you choose to ignore that this guy is responsible for over 400 innocent civilians being murdered gives more like him permission to do just that.

The argument just goes on and on in my mind, it's hard to know what is right and what is wrong. The roots of this struggle go deep. The Arab world was long a tribal culture, and nothing has been the same for them ever since the French first 'colonized' (love that word, it sounds much better than conquered, I guess) centuries ago. How do we solve this crisis of modern times? Good question.
    Well said tal...what is the answer? Israel must exist, and the Palis accept that existence....and not attack them....and Israel must let the Palis have a homeland...now if we could just make that happen.
  • DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Here is a web site about the history of conflict between Israel and Palestine.

http://www.mideastweb.org/briefhistory.htm

I would like to point out one part:

Partition - The United Nations Special Commission on Palestine (UNSCOP) recommended that Palestine be divided into an Arab state and a Jewish state. The commission called for Jerusalem to be put under international administration The UN General Assembly adopted this plan on Nov. 29, 1947 as UN Resolution (GA 181) , owing to support of both the US and the Soviet Union, and in particular, the personal support of US President Harry S. Truman. Many factors contributed to Truman's decision to support partition, including domestic politics and intense Zionist lobbying, no doubt. Truman wrote in his diary, however, "I think the proper thing to do, and the thing I have been doing, is to do what I think is right and let them all go to hell."

The Jews accepted the UN decision, but the Arabs rejected it. The resolution divided the land into two approximately equal portions in a complicated scheme with zig-zag borders (see Partition Map). The intention was an economic union between the two states with open borders. At the time of partition, slightly less than half the land in all of Palestine was owned by Arabs, slightly less than half was "crown lands" belonging to the state, and about 8% was owned by Jews or the Jewish Agency. There were about 600,000 Jews in Palestine, almost all living in the areas allotted to the Jewish state or in the internationalized zone of Jerusalem, and about 1.2 million Arabs. The allocation of land by Resolution 181 was intended to produce two areas with Jewish and Arab majorities respectively. Jerusalem and environs were to be internationalized. The relatively large Jewish population of Jerusalem and the surroundings, about 100,000, were geographically cut off from the rest of the Jewish state, separated by a relatively large area, the "corridor," allotted to the Palestinian state. The corridor included the populous towns of Lod and Ramla and the smaller towns of Qoloniyeh, Emaus, Qastel and others which guarded the road to Jerusalem. ( Click for Large Detailed Map )

The Arabs had their chance to have 1/2 the land way back in the 1940's and they turned it down.

Devon

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    The Arabs had their chance to have 1/2 the land way back in the 1940's and they turned it down.

And why is that?! Because they preferred to violently annihilate the Jewish race than live peacefully as their neighbors. Someday maybe people will realize that not everyone wants peace in this world - and that includes groups such as Hammas and Al-Quaeda. So, between the two of these groups, that makes one down, and one more to go.

growedup

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit