The Greatest Hockey Player Who Ever Lived

by talesin 58 Replies latest social physical

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

Uh..yeah okay, but of course we all know the real answer is Eric Lindros!

• freelife
    freelife

Im a modern era fan so I think that the modern era player who is the best is Steve Yzerman he is one tough mo fo. Best goalie it pains me to say was Patrick Roy. Best Defenseman i think is a tie with Nicolas Lindstom and Ray Bourque.

• talesin
    talesin

Thanks everyone for your great replies,

I knew there were some Gordie Howe & Rocket Richard fans out there!

It's great to hear your stories, thoughts, and to remember so many great players ... hockey's a great game.

note to gopher, FYI, the honoured members page shows 2 pics, BUT if you click on the "players" bar, you will see that there are many honoured members, they just chose Howe and Gretzky for pictures on the front page.

Most Canadian kids (at least those over 40) will never forget the voice of Danny Gallivan saying every Saturday "It's HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA!!!!"

For those who enjoy stats:

Here?s a list of Bobby?s awards and stats, impressive when you consider two points (1) he played 12 seasons and (2) he was a defenseman

Calder Trophy

(NHL top rookie) ...highly touted rookie more than lives up to great expectations.
    1966/67 season
    Norris Trophy (NHL top defenceman) ...eight consecutive years of dominating the blue line.
    1967/68 1968/69 1969/70 1970/71 1971/72 1972/73 1973/74 1974/75

Art Ross Trophy (NHL scoring title) ...that's right, the only defenceman to win the NHL scoring title ever! He did it twice.
    1969/70 1974/75
    Hart Trophy (NHL MVP regular season) ...when the Bruins came to town, the opponents job was simple: shut down Orr, and you may beat the Bruins.
    1969/70 1970/71 1971/72
    Conn Smythe Trophy (NHL playoff MVP) ...both years that the Bruins won the Cup, Bobby Orr scored the winning goal.
    1969/70 1971/72
    Lou Marsh Trophy (top Canadian Male Athlete)
    1970/71
    Stanley Cup (what it's all about) ...until Bobby's arrival in the late 1960s, (and a key trade with Chicago) the Bruins were a bad team.
    1970 1972
    Canada Cup (series with Russia, part 2)
    ...Bobby wins the MVP "on one leg". Obviously his knees were hurting, hockey fans get one last chance to watch Orr at the top of his game.
    1976 MVP
    Lester B. Pearson Award (Most Outstanding NHL Player)...selected by the National Hockey League Player's Association 1978

Lester Patrick Trophy (Oustanding Contribution To Hockey In The United States)
    Plus Minus Rating Record +128! (based on regular season even strength goals) Amazing! ...hockey's brightest star and great role model made it easy for "Canada's Game" to catch on. 1979

He scored 270 goals, 645 assists (regular season) for a total 915 points, playoffs 92. For a defenseman, amazing.

Thanks again, folks for sharing your votes for the greatest, and putting up with my hero worship (doesn't happen too often heheheh).

Whoever you think is the greatest - IS the greatest - I wouldn't want to change that or even argue!!

They all love(d) the game, and that's what matters!!!

Hockey, the Great Canadian Sport

tal

• Richie
    Richie

I found GUY LAFLEUR, who played for the Montreal Canadiens to be the fastest player in history. He could swerve around you and make pirouettes like a ballerina. He may not have been the greatest scorer but on a level of high quality player, I would rank him to be similar compared to soccer players such as Johan Cruyff or Pele, as both of these players were fast and could move in any direction in an instant.

Richie :*)

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

You're forgetting "The Miracle Worker" himself, Yeshua Kristc, who played for Edmonton in their first year.

here he is getting called for highsticking

• talesin
    talesin

Richie

You're absolutely right, 'the Flower' had more heart and passion for the game. Late in his career, when the front office wanted to make him co-captain, he told them "you can call me Captain when I own a boat" - he was a true lover of the game!! And one of the greats.

gitas

WOW! Who knew??

t

• Aztec
    Aztec

Can I change my vote to Tie Domi?

I'm surprised by how many Red Wings got mentioned and, duh, can't believe I failed to mention Gordie Howe. I'm such a traitor but, in my defense I had the flu at the time and wasn't thinking very clearly. Ask anyone who got a pm from me that day *cough* Shotgun *cough*.

To all you crazy people who picked Roy as the best goalie: I'm giving you the evil eye right now. Watch out! Everyone knows it's Hasek. He'll be back!

~Aztec

• Badger
    Badger

Aztec:

Can I change my vote to Tie Domi?

TIE DOMI IS A GUTLESS THUG. He makes Bob Probert look like Luc Robitaille.

*sniff* I thought I could love you...

• Aztec
    Aztec

Badger, Domi and Probert are the two greatest gutless thugs of all time. They deserve their place in the Hockey Hall of Fame too some day. Would hockey be as much fun without the brawls? I think I'll stick with Howe for the all time greatest though.

~Aztec

• JH
    JH

Guy Lafleur was not too bad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit