The Greatest Hockey Player Who Ever Lived

by talesin 58 Replies latest social physical

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Perhaps we need a more international flavour to this question.

I understand the British are experts at hockey. Perhaps they could offer some insight?

http://www.canada.com/sports/hockey/story.html?id=DCF0E63A-BD01-48E1-BE32-9F76A759D708

Sunday Times jeers hockey in top-10 list, says players wear bedspreads

Canadian Press
    Monday, March 08, 2004

LONDON (CP) - A British newspaper has put hockey on a top-10 list, but not a complimentary one.

The Sunday Times included ice hockey in a list of "the top 10 overrated things in sport" in a recent edition. "Is it a coincidence that the country which produced the inexplicably popular Celine Dion should also have come up with a sport that is almost unwatchable?" the paper asked.

The newspaper ranked ice hockey at No. 10 and went on to say, "If you could actually see the puck, you might see the point, but it zips across the ice invisible to the naked eye, the whirling antics of men wrapped in bedspreads offering the only clue to its whereabouts.

"Every now and then, the bedspreads stop to have a fight and all are sent off."

Of course Don Cherry had an opinion on that:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1078787413484&call_pageid=968332188854&col=968350060724

Hockey-bashing Brits provoke wrath of Grapes U.K. paper says game overrated
    Canadian icon decries `audacity'

GABE GONDASTAFF REPORTER

Don Cherry is not amused.

A British newspaper has rattled the hockey attack dog's cage by putting his beloved game on its list of the top 10 most overrated things in sport.

"Is it a coincidence that the country which produced the inexplicably popular Celine Dion should also have come up with a sport that is almost unwatchable?" writes Alisdair Reid in a recent edition of London's Sunday Times.

Last night, Cherry, a.k.a Grapes, was ready to drop the gloves.

"Any people that have a sport like cricket, where they stop for tea halfway through the game wouldn't understand a good man's game like hockey," Cherry told the Star.

`Anybody that plays sports in short pants, what can you expect?'

Don Cherry, hockey analyst

• Aztec
    Aztec

There's a good reason to go to war with the UK...LOL! It's been awhile since we (U.S.) kicked their butts and maybe we could free Canada from the Queen's figurative headship at the same time. It's time to get rid of these goofy street names anyway. We could change the Queensway to Hockeyway...LOL!

I wouldn't put too much stock in what Cherry says. Any man who dresses that badly can't be entirely sane. He does make a good point about Cricket though. Is that really considered a sport?

~Aztec

• Badger
    Badger

`Anybody that plays sports in short pants, what can you expect?'

Aren't hockey pants short, too.

Don Cherry is a bigot. That's why I live for seeing he beloved Maple Loafs get thumped by a team with a Swede or Russian.

First, he runs down anyone who doesn't like hockey. Hey, I'm a soccer fan, but I realize it's not for everyone.

Then, he defends it as a great sport...which it is... and says the NHL is the best product...ditto....

Finally, He gets pissed when Russians, Czechs and Finns come here to play...Hey, buddy, that's what happens when you play the best hockey...you attract the best players.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    One thing that kind of surprises me is that there seem to be few people who consider any of the players from the great Islanders teams of the early 80s to be among the all-time greats. And while they had some fine individual players (Bossy, Nystrom, Trottier, Billy Smith), I too tend to leave them off any list of all-time greats.

God I use to love hockey in the early '80s. Islanders were awesome, Oilers were coming on strong and the Hawks had Doug Wilson, Dennis Savard, the Sutters and Al Secord. Ok, Secord wasn't that good but dam he loved to fight.

• Valis
    Valis

Roy...we do not allow replicants on this board! *loads the 45*...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer of the "Blade Runner" class

• Thunder Rider
    Thunder Rider

Gerry Cheevers Gerry Cheevers my all time favorite hockey player.

Thunder

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

The British are such experts at sports. I wanna know how many gold medals have they won in the last Olympics? And as a matter of fact, how many Brits have broken through into traditionally American sports? None, unless you count Kickers and Punters for NFL teams.

How many have broken into British sports? I'm done questioning.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

My starting lineup would be:

Forwards: Howe, Hull (Father, not son), Orr

Def: Bourque, Coffey

G: Worsley

X: Gretzky

• Special K
    Special K

Hey .. I still think th greatest hockey player that I know is my 8year old son.

Had his March Break Hockey Tournament today.. and he comes home

MVP...!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!

Special K

• shotgun
    shotgun

It wasn't for fighting was it...did he score today?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit