The Greatest Hockey Player Who Ever Lived

by talesin 58 Replies latest social physical

• dustyb
    dustyb

gretsky is bar none the best hockey player that ever lived. but i also like brett hull and tkachuk (i think thats how you spell it). both of the st. louis blues =)

• Gopher
    Gopher

When you go to the "Hockey Hall of Fame" site www.hhof.com , and go to the "Honoured Members" page -- the ONLY TWO players pictured on the front page are Gretzky and Gordie Howe.

IMHO, Gretzky was the greatest SCORER who ever lived, however Gordie Howe was the greatest PLAYER of all time. Not only was he an awesome skater and scorer, he was also a punishing hitter and would back down from nobody. His physical presence on the ice made opponents play back on their heels.

And his longevity was amazing. He was the oldest player (age 52) to play in an NHL game. He played 25 outstanding years with the Detroit Red Wings, finishing in 1971. Then he joined his sons Marty and Mark to play with Houston Aeroes of the newly-formed World Hockey Association in 1973 at the age of 43!! He went to play not just one but SEVEN productive seasons in that league. When the WHA went bankrupt, Gordie's New England Whalers team joined the NHL and became the Hartford Whalers (now the Carolina Hurricanes).

He scored 801 goals and 1049 assists during his 32 years in the NHL and WHA !!!!! I said 32 years, as in 3 decades plus 2 years. IS THAT GREAT OR WHAT? He held the NHL all-time scoring record during the period of tougher defense and low scoring. His scoring record was broken by Gretzky during a period when the style of play was more open and freewheeling. (Of course, Gretzky helped make it that way.)

He won the Art Ross trophy 6 times, was first-team NHL all-star as a right wing 12 times, was second team NHL all-star 9 times, won the Hart Memorial trophy 6 times, won the Lester Patrick trophy in 1967 at age 37.

Amazing, simply amazing.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

The greatest player who ever lived: Maurice Richard

The greatest player who is still living: As much as I admire Bobby Orr, I'd have to go with Greatzky.

The greatest player still active" Steve Yzerman, with strong competition from Mark Messier, Brett Hull, Joe Sakic and Chris Chelios to name a few.

And I guess none of us consider goalies to be hockey players?

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

One of the finest displays of hockey skills was in Salt Lake City, US versus Canada.

Sitting 15 rows from the ice, and being able to watch Lemieux and Jagr on the ice at the same time. It was a thing of beauty to watch them deke, dodge and handle the puck.

I would have added Jagr to the list of greats but his silly attitude prevents him from being as good as his potential.

Compare stats between Lemieux and Gretsky. During on of the games in Salt Lake I was seated next to Wayne Gretsky's father. He commented that he felt Lemieux was one of the most under-rated players in the game and feels that Mario is one of the best players ever. I wanted to talk to him more about that but the guys from Tragically Hip sat down behind us and the onslught of fans looking for autographs from them kinda made conversation difficult. (smirking that people shoved their programs and notepads in my face thinking I must be with either the band of connected to Gretsky. I actually signed a few - some of the people didn't really care as long as they got an autograph. LOL I am sure they are still trying to figure out who "Uzzah" is and why they have my autograph.) ahhh memories.

• shotgun
    shotgun

99 or 66...I think without all the back, hip and cancer problems Mario could have been the greatest.

Best slap shot...Reggie Leach

Best wrist shot...Rick Macleish....Joe Sakic got a good one too

Best Goaltender..........Patrick Roy for consistency over the years

• mouthy
    mouthy

ROCKET RICHARD Bar None!!!

• Sargon
    Sargon

Another fine display of of hockey was here in Hamilton at the '86 Canada Cup. Gretzky and Lemieux playing on a line together for the first and only time. Two Games Canada beat Russia 6-5, the second in double over-time.

I've watched Orr, Howe, Lemieux and all the finest since the early 60's. The best player, the most exciting to watch, without a doubt was #99.

• Badger
    Badger

This dude...

Vladislav Tretiak....just impossible to score on.

• Special K
    Special K

This is my favourite Hockey Player . My son, 8 years old, #8.. plays for the "#8 HAWKS"

Special K

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I think Lemieux was a magnificent player - I'm from Pittsburgh, so he gets my vote all the time. When he and Jagr used to glide like daggers slashing apart the defenses, and Kevin Stevens standing like the Statue of Liberty just outside the crease, pow, we'd score and it would be awesome. It was almost 15 years ago, hard to believe that time flies... What a lineup, one of the best lines in all of history, especially when the Samuelssons, Ulf and Kjell (not related) were backing them up as defenders. Oh, and what a second line! Tocchet and Co.

Props to the goalie Barasso, Wregget, and to Frank Pietrangelo who made what is called the SAVE against the Whalers.

But my HERO is Gretzky. Always has been. I read his autobiography, and on and off the ice he is a truly class act. The consumnate gentleman.

CZAR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit