Bush Bash, Anti-gay marrige.

by SC_Guy 101 Replies latest social current

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger
    For my response to the above constitutionality question, please see http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/14/67541/1.ashx
  • rem
    rem

I think the government should get out of the marriage business and only issue Civil Union licenses to both gay and straight couples. People would be free to ritualize their civil union in a church and call it a marriage if they wanted to, but to the government they would all be simply considered as Civil Unions with the exact same rights and benefits for all. If it's good enough for gays it should be good enough for straights.

rem

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Rem, that's a great idea. Really. That's awesome. I support your bid for the presidency in 2008.

SNG

• rem
    rem

Yeah, I'm a little late for 2004. ;)

Seriously, though, this is a major issue for me and is one of the several reasons I will not be voting for Bush. Living in San Francisco is great! Gay marriage is really the talk of the town.

I think in 20 years we will look back on this as a civil rights issue and those who were against it will end up being pretty embarrassed. It's like being against interracial marriage back in the day. I'm sorry, but using the moral majority argument won't cut it. It just shows you couldn't think for yourself.

rem

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Yeah, I've seen taht idea written up in a number of places, like here:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2085127

• rem
    rem

Damn, just when I think I have an original idea! :) I really do think it makes the most sense, though, in the long run. Or maybe straights can learn to share the secular rights and responsibilities of state sanctioned marriage?

rem

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

REM,

I think in 20 years we will look back on this as a civil rights issue and those who were against it will end up being pretty embarrassed. It's like being against interracial marriage back in the day. I'm sorry, but using the moral majority argument won't cut it. It just shows you couldn't think for yourself.

What an embarassment, to try to tie the civil rights movement to gay marriage. Geesh.

I for one will NEVER be embarrassed by my position on Gay Marriage.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy
    What an embarassment, to try to tie the civil rights movement to gay marriage. Geesh.

Actually Yeru, REM is not the first to compare the civil rights movement to gay rights movement.. Correta Scott King, widow of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., has been very vocal on this for some time.

Below is an excerpt of an article on advocate.com, if you would like to read the entire article, you may go to http://www.advocate.com/html/stories/825/825_king.asp

I say ?common struggle? because I believe very strongly that all forms of bigotry and discrimination are equally wrong and should be opposed by right-thinking Americans everywhere. Freedom from discrimination based on sexual orientation is surely a fundamental human right in any great democracy, as much as freedom from racial, religious, gender, or ethnic discrimination.

My husband, Martin Luther King Jr., once said, ?We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny?an inescapable network of mutuality.? I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be.? Therefore, I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.?s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.

CountryGuy

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    those who were against it will end up being pretty embarrassed

That would be nice, Rem. Sadly, I think that many of those who oppose equal rights for gay people will go to their grave never having felt ashamed. I can't understand why anyone would feel good about not treating others fairly.

SNG

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

At the end of it all, those that can change their minds, do so, and hopefully the rest wont pass on too much of themselves into the gene pool.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit