Bush Bash, Anti-gay marrige.

by SC_Guy 101 Replies latest social current

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

I think bush is trying to screw this country one more time before he's voted out of office...

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

I wish I was that sure... he's making a big overture to a large constituency, one who resides in the middle. Of course, since Kerry is gainst gay marriage as well, the only way for Bush to "win" the issue is to play the amendment card, possibly (and cynically) hoping that it fails, perhaps ensuring it fails, but getting the cred from the right for having talked it up.

Unfortunately, it would not only be the wrong thing to do, it would be contrary to the spirit of the US Constitution's purpose.

A Defense of Marriage Amendment would enshrine, for the first time, language of intolerance and exclusion in a document that was intended to set forth basic rights. Does President Bush really want to be remembered as the guy who first used the Constitution to codify bigotry?

Read the whole article at http://slate.msn.com/id/2095259

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Gooooooooooo......Bush!!!!

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Well, I guess that refutes that argument...:)

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

Well, I mean... ask yourself.. could we expect any better from the guy who's killed 100's of US troops for no apparent reason in the war of iraq? Not to mention the people who were lured into fighting with the US becasue they claimed good intelegence, bunch of liars. I don't care if Kerry is anti-gay marrige, at least he'll be anyone else but bush.

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper
    Gooooooooooo......Bush!!!!

Yes, I hope he does go, very far away

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Let's face it, like him or not, George W Bush is simply playing to his political base.

Billy Joe, Bobbi Sue, Betty Jean, and everyone else with two first names;

People who drive a pickup truck with a confederate flag or an "I eat roadkill" bumper sticker;

Those that believe that passing the 6th grade in school means you've received an education.

Go Bush. Go.

***** Rub a Dub

• crownboy
    crownboy

Actually RubaDub, the majority of Americans are against gay marriages (meaning many educated non- Southerners as well ) , but more people favour letting individual states decide whether or not they should allow gays to marry rather than endorse a constitutional amendment: http://www.ktvu.com/family/2837654/detail.html

So G W Bush may be possibly alienating some moderates who would have otherwise voted for him, while gambling that he'll more than make up for it by riling up his fundamentalist Christain base. Since I'd like to see Bush leave office next year, I hope this move backfires big time.

I love the way some backers of this amendment try to maintain that they'd like to curtail the rights of gays but still insist that they have "no problems" with gays.

• shamus
    shamus

It's not a suprise to me at all. If he had his way, they would string them up and gut them too.

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Can somebody explain to me how banning gay marriage is "screwing the country up?"

Allowing gay marriage would mean that gay people would have the right to sue any church that can't and won't allow them to be married in a church. The last time I checked, a church can say "No" to whomever they feel like saying "no" to, no matter what the government says about it. This would be a breach of the First Amendment.

The last time I checked, the First Amendment is the most important law in our country.

A civil union, however, held by court officials (Which Bush is for, BTW.) isn't a church-sanctioned marriage. Of course, the leftist echo chambers you call news sources gives a breif mention to that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit