Bush Bash, Anti-gay marrige.

by SC_Guy 101 Replies latest social current

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Poor shamus...looking for an argument anywhere :)

Yeru, I would say that "societal argument" is a null term. Your beliefs fuel your opinion on what's best for society.

Polygamy has been rejected by this society on religious grounds - but there are no biological imperatives working against the adoption of polygamy in the future...but there are economic and demographic reasons that polygamy is unlikely to be on an agenda anytime soon. But it was in the bible... it could only "work" in a society or subculture where women are not valued highly. The questions Yeru raises about divorce can be easily addressed in any contract - plural marriage could make sense in the future, but there seems to be no impetus for it in our culture today except from foreigners and Mormon-secessionist cults who soak the US for welfare (see economic argument above). Polygamy existed as a survival tool for genes back when survival was the key question for all societies. Now that success is the key question, our thousands of years of conditioning and acculturation aren't applicable as often.

Incest is obviously a biological event that should be avoided for biological reasons. Pedophilia is abuse of a minor and needs no discussion. (Those who compare homosexuality and pedophilia seem to be unclear on when someone involved is being harmed and when no one is being harmed.)

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Phantom,

Just wanted to say I appreciated your clear handling of these different cases as they actually are, very different cases.

SNG

• shamus
    shamus

My cat's breath smells like cat food.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

More support for the theory that the Bush decision to "back" the amendment was purely driven by the political climate he's created for himself in his own party (deficits, etc.).

Below pasted from here:

The Denver Rocky Mountain News reports that, while "the White House said President Bush made his decision only after officials in San Francisco and New Mexico presided over same-sex marriages," Bush actually "pledged to Rep. Marilyn Musgrave (R-CO) that he would support her proposed constitutional amendment prohibiting gay marriage three months before" his
    public announcement last week.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/state/article/0,1299,DRMN_21_2690146,00.html

The revelation is corroborated by the San Francisco Chronicle, which noted almost three months before last week's announcement that "the White House indicated Bush is considering" supporting the constitutional amendment. By contrast, the Massachusetts court ruled on February 6th, San Francisco moved on February 11th, and New Mexico acted on February 20th.

While the new revelations show that the president's announcement was made under false pretenses, an analysis of the president and Vice President's past statements show that they were also misleading America four years ago in presenting a wholly different position on the gay marriage issue.
    On February 15, 2000, Bush said, "The state[s] can do what they want to" on
    issues surrounding gay marriage, and he reiterated this position on May 2, 2000, saying it is "going to be up for cities and states to make those decisions." Similarly, Vice President Cheney said on October 5, 2000, "I think the fact of the matter, of course, is [same-sex marriage] is regulated by the states. I think different states are likely to come to different conclusions and that's appropriate. I don't think there should necessarily be a federal policy in this area."

• waiting
    waiting

I haven't read anything but this last page of this thread.................thanks to Phantom Stranger for such good quotes, good reasoning skills, and his ability to put forth these points in an easy-to-reason manner.

Nooooooooooo, I didn't give counsel in the Ministry School. I'm a woman, thus not good enough. But I sure can speaka the talk, eh?

Much appreciated.

waiting

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Thanks to SNG and waiting for the kind words. Now if I could learn to gesture on the Internet, I could improve my TMS scorecard...

Yeru, I want to be respectful of you and your commitments, even when I disrespect some of your opinions mightily. And your use of a "B"- word variant towards a Senator recently I thought was rude, crude, uncalled-for, and beneath you.

Peace, out.

PS

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Ah, Dan Savage can say it so much better than I...

http://www.theonionavclub.com/savagelove/

• LucidSky
    LucidSky

Anyone that thinks homosexuality is "unnatural" should take a look at the animal kingdom...

• Pleasuredome
  • donkey
    donkey

removed by Donkey

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit