JW Urban Legends

by ZeroKool29 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• Freded
    Freded

shotgun: The only thing that carson said live on the show was that he knew some witnesses and that they were good people and then asked denver to leave. It was very short maybe around 20 seconds. The commit about someone on his staff being a dub was not connected to the appearance of Denver on the show. Now if i lose credibility over that so be it.

• bebu
    bebu

That is hard to imagine for me--I've heard Carson make cracks about JWs himself. As I recall, the gist usually was about how irritating they were coming door-to-door. I don't recall his ever making cracks about Mormons, though.

I think Carson asking Denver to leave would be a major moment in television. A big uproar. Unless, of course, Carson was winking while he said this... and it fell to be forgotten just as another sly joke.

bebu

• shotgun
    shotgun

Actually Freded that sounds alot more reasonable than what I've heard before from people who are going on here-say.

Thanks

• freedom96
    freedom96

Remember in school there was this game.

There would be a line of people, and at the beginning, someone would whisper something in the first persons ear. Then that person would tell the next person the exact same thing.

By the time that the last person got the message, it was usually completely different than what was said at the beginning. Many times not even close.

So you have a group of witnesses, who by and large love to gossip, and one tells another, and by the time it gets to the masses, you have a story that is so completely untrue, but yet everyone believes it.

I don't believe a whole lot unless I see it first hand. The fact is, even if a persons comments are repeated, the way it is said can mean completely different things. So perhaps some celebrity said something, and it got turned around in meaning, or you had to be there to catch the joke. It would not be the first time.

As far as the rumours, I heard about the John Denver one, though I had been to his concerts, and witnesses were never brought up.

I heard about Glen Campbell supposedly studying, and even heard once that Elvis forced Precilla to read the Watchtower and Awake.

• Nowhere
    Nowhere

Ok, denver. Let's see if you are really telling the truth here. How did Denver react to that comment?

• Freded
    Freded

what i have heard about john denver's concerts is that at the beginning of his concert he would play the national anthem and at the end of the song he would ask anyone sitting to leave.

Gloria Estefan just plain tells witnesses to leave. If you don't believe that email her and ask her.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

A trusted friend of mine told me this (which makes the whole Carson thing even more obscure):

Carson had George Benson on his show one night. Now George Benson is pretty much established as a JW, as he has said so in the media plenty of times. Anyway during the interview, Carson told Benson that one of his crew (can't remember who, but it wasnt Ed), had a knock on his door one day from the witnesses and it turned out to be George Benson. Carson asked if that was true, and Benson said that yes it had probably been him.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Gloria Estefan just plain tells witnesses to leave. If you don't believe that email her and ask her.

Oh sure...................as if I had her email, and she would actually answer it??????????

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    I heard about Glen Campbell supposedly studying, and even heard once that Elvis forced Precilla to read the Watchtower and Awake.

When I was a very young child, our Circuit Assembly was accidentally double booked at the same venue that Elvis Presley was having a concert (one of his last actually, on what would become his final tour). Elvis found and alternate location for the Witness assembly and paid for their trouble. I was too young to know about it at the time, but my parents told me about it. Elvis has left the building. :-)

• Freded

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit