JW Urban Legends

by ZeroKool29 59 Replies latest jw experiences

• ZeroKool29
    ZeroKool29

I was once told that John Denver (folk singer of songs like Rocky Mountain High and such) was on the Tonight Show one night. He was a huge patriot and apparently had no love whatsoever for JW's. Apparently as the story goes, John gets up to sing a patriotic song and before he begins tells the audience "If there are any Jehovah Witnesses in the audience, you may want to leave right now." And then he sings his song. When he's done and goes to the couch to chat with Johnny, Carson apparently says "I want you to know something. You see that camera guy? He's a JW, and so is that lighting guy and so are a bunch of people on my staff. I hire them because they are honest and hard working. And now, I'd like YOU to leave." all on national television. I heard years later that Leno pulled the same thing with Clint Black (country singer) another apparently anti-JW person.

Has anyone else ever heard these stories? Are they true? Do you know any other stories that you heard when you were in the troof? Please share!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It's one that's been discussed here before and IIRC, it is entirely untrue. It is, as you say, an urban legend.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Back in the 70's, my mother heard a rumor that Glen Campbell had been baptized into the JW's. Her and a couple of her friends eagerly bought tickets to his concert the next time he rolled into town. I must have been only 10 or 11 years old, but I remember mom coming home from the concert VERY traumatized and upset. She said to me, "WELL, I can tell you that Glen Campbell is NOT a Jehovah's Witness." Apparently, he had sung some "suggestive" songs and he did something on stage that shocked her.

Thinking back on it, how HYSTERICAL to think that Glen Campbell was a JW!

I'm glad I never told her what went on at rock concerts that I attended just a few years later.....

GH

• Freded
    Freded

Yes that is true. In fact I remember watching the johnny carson show when carson asked denver to leave.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Freded,

There's something suspicious about a person who's FIRST EVER post on this board is the one you just gave. I smell a troll.

B.

• Matty
    Matty

Yes, LR - very suspicious!

It must have been your imagination Freded. Guest lists and details of Johnny Carson shows are available on the internet. It didn't happen, not anywhere, it's as simple as that.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

the legend of Fred Franz getting up on the roof if the building where he lived to get instructions from angels was one that was told very hush hush, but I did hear it told.

• Joker10
    Joker10

Alright here it goes. It is said that Gloria Estefan was interviewed on a radio talk show. They asked her what was her wish, if she could only have one. She said she would'nt wish for anything to have because she already has everything. But if she were to have to wish, she would like to have Jehovah's WItnesses heads cut off! And then she giggles. I have talked to several JWs who swear they heard this.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Zerocool

I heard many different ones relate the Johhny Carson incident but strangely each time it was different, His Grandmother was a JW, his staff were JW and so on. Smells of urban legend. Maybe it was the guy who sat on the couch..no wait Ed is involved in sweepstakes, he couldn't be a dub.

• Freded
    Freded

logansrun: You have to have a first post on something and that is one thing I definitely know.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit