Is it a Gun Issue or a Mental Illness Issue or Both?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

We have had another shooting. Many are blaming Trump and the Republicans and the NRA.

Is it because of guns that there are so many massacres or could it be that these killers are mental?

Do you think guns should be removed from our society so that these atrocities never occur again?

Do you think people who are mentally unstable should never get a gun?

by the way... The FBI is doing a heck of a job following leads on getting these nuts out of the way, huh?

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Thing is someone could be considered "stable" with no history of mental illness at the time of purchase and then become "unstable" at a later time. Mental illness isn't that black and white, as in, you either are or you are not mentally ill and if you are not you never will be and vice versa. Everyone has periods of sadness anxiety and high stress even gun owners but not everyone will snap under those circumstaces when "the silicone chip inside her head gets switched to overload".

• minimus
    minimus

Most of these people who were killers were definitely known to be unstable. I agree people’s circumstances change and someone could do something abnormal.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Do you think guns should be removed from our society?

• minimus
    minimus

I know that many people feel guns do not belong in our society and I am not one of them.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    I agree to a point but I don't know how it would be possible to remove them all.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I think it may be a bit of both issues.

But I'd like to say something about mental health and those afflicted by mental illness.

There is a trend in the UK, and I assume in the US, for mentally-ill people not to be detained. They must have freedom, as if it's their God-given right.

Well what about responsibility? Don't mentally-ill people have the responsibility to take proper medication, to listen to their doctor? And if not them then their legal carers surely must.

What I'm getting at is you shouldn't have a mentally-ill person flip out and shoot a bunch of people, then plead insanity. People with mental illness must obey the law like the rest of us ...

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

How do you guys feel about the fact the NRA lobbyists virtually buys off your politicians in contribution funds - with which they get elected.

How on earth do you fix that? I'm British and know very little about this so I'm open to correction.

• minimus
    minimus

Guns are legal. Knives are too. Cars and trucks are legal. If someone is mentally unbalanced and they use any of these in an evil way, should we ban them? Of course not!

There is a problem with a mentally challenged person getting ahold of anything and killing with it.

• minimus
    minimus

Sick people can use guns,knives, cars and trucks and because that is possible we would not outlaw them all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit