Is it a Gun Issue or a Mental Illness Issue or Both?

by minimus 50 Replies latest jw friends

• hothabanero
    hothabanero

Julian Assange speaks the truth again. He is our times Count of Mt. Christo!

• Chook
    Chook

It’s purely a mental health issue. Because the US has so many firearms available , the law abiding citizens have no choice but to self protect. Even if all firearms were banned tomorrow it would have no impact on future massacres because of availability would remain high. Tony Morris imagines shooting the world up of non believers, so he doesn’t qualify for a conceal permit.

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

The die hard R's would rather have murdered children than stand up to the NRA lobby.

End of story.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    jwundubbed:
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people but people with guns kill more people and mentally unstable people with guns kill the most people. -nicolaou-

Could you cite references to where you got information that mentally unstable people with guns kill the most people? I find that hard to believe. I would guess that soldiers with guns kill more people than a mentally unstable person with a gun.

I find that hard to believe too

The numbers that I remember (from a talk given by a psychiatrist several years ago) are that "97% of mentally ill people are not violent and 97% of all violent crimes are committed by people who are not mentally ill"

This article backs that statement up:

https://cmhadurham.ca/finding-help/the-myth-of-violence-and-mental-illness/

• Giordano
    Giordano

I think that if you go out to a school or anyplace and begin killing people at random your displaying a form of mental insanity. You may have a twisted purpose to get back at people who are lumped together.....with those who abused you or are simply in the same area ...... you have let go of your senses and humanity and fed your anger and hurt in a pathetic effort to pay back or get control of a situation........ without understanding it was often one of your own making.

Killers in society are those who have little or no empathy.

Insanity comes in many degrees.

• Simon
    Simon
    Amateurs with guns would quickly be overpowered by the state. If they wanted to enslave people again (not a credible possibility) then they could to it, guns or not

Yeah, the idea that people could stand up to the government is laughable. They could just drone your ass and you wouldn't even see it coming.

As an argument, the idea that the 2nd amendment guarantees your freedom just serves to prove that many people are idiots.

• Simon
    Simon

Re: the Julian Assange tweet:

"Why is it that 94% of mass shootings are perpetrated by people who have either identified or registered as a Democrat?"

It's an important point. The democrats promote violence through their political rhetoric and also their poor governance. They thrive off crime, it's the only reason they would ever get elected.

The party that brought you the KKK that inspired the Nazi's now brings you Antifa and more political thuggery, the brown-coats of our time. They appeal to the violent and the mentally ill, when they come as a package they are more than happy to benefit from the results.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The Florida school survivors that were on TV news programs today made some interesting demands, in expecting politicians to refuse contributions from the NRA. Of course this won't happen. Money is what fuels politics in the US. We have the best politicians that money an buy!

It is 9 months until the next election. ALL members of the US House are up for re-election (as they all are every two years). The only chance the student groups might gain some ground with this is if they can get incumbent US Congress(wo)men that accept more NRA money, voted out of office in the upcoming election. They must keep political party out of this. (Of course, over 90% of NRA money goes to the GOP.)

NOTHING matters to our politicians except their re-election! They are not motivated by "doing the right thing" if it could cost them votes.

I wager that there will be NO new legislation passed affecting gun violence at any level in the House or Senate in the next 9 months.

• Outahere
    Outahere

The NRA is relatively small potatoes anyway. Less than a million a year in contributions to candidates.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=d000000082

It's not a big lobby moneywise.

But it's funded by millions of small contributions (it has millions of members).

The NRA is probably the one best example out there of a group of citizens getting together and making sure their voices are heard and respected by people in office.

Activists just single out the NRA because they need a target.

As for the pols many won't get re-elected if they go and support a sweeping gun control bill.

Of course, over 90% of NRA money goes to the GOP.

It used to not be that way. The NRA is non-partisan. But it so happens that the great majority of pro 2nd-Amendment pols are in the GOP these days.

I am sure Republicans are hoping Democrats make this a campaign issue for November.

• Outahere

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit