Are you a people person or a loner?

by Strawberryfieldsforever 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I've heard that there are people who thrive on being with people. They gain energy from it. Then there are the loners who gain energy from being alone. I myself am a loner. I find it exhausting to be with others for a long time. It saps me of my strength.

• flower
    flower

For me it depends on the people. Annoying people annoy me. I like to be around people who are not overbearing or obnoxious loud mouths. I'd rather be by myself then with the kind of person who cant stop talking about themselves.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

Strawberry -

Hermitism (LOL!) runs in my family - my mom likes a lot of time to herself and my grandmother was obscene about it. For example, my mom would ask her to go to lunch on a Monday morning, and my grandmother would tell her, "no, I can't go, I need to get ready for my Doctor appointment on Friday". No joke - she really said this. The ironic thing is that although I think it's funny, I also understand how she feels. For my mom, I think her need to be alone - but not being able to as often as she needs due to going to meetings and out in the service all the time - are a big part of the depression she has suffered from for years. She "gets sick" more than anyone I have ever known in my entire life. But then again, I understand how it feels when you are suddenly overwhelmed - you may not be running a fever, but when that feeling overcomes you, you can feel pretty "sick"! (For me, it is a feeling of being "stressed out" and unable to concentrate for long).

The dichotomy of this is that I really do love people! I really enjoy laughing and bouncing ideas off others. But I can only take so much of it, then I'm done. However, I have discovered a really great way around it - it's called posting on JWD! What I like about it (among 100 other things!) is when I've had my fill, I can turn the computer off and walk away and be alone without offending anyone! So I understand how you feel, Strawberry, and hope that being here can help you, too!

growedup

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I am the epitome of nerd, you know the little guy who sits in the corner type. I do much better on the computer, not just for me but I think I come across much better here than in person. I think most people are a little disappointed when they meet me. But I've got Nina who helps pull me away from the darkness.

• Sneaky Russian
    Sneaky Russian

I like to be alone.

• myself
    myself

I am both, I love being around people, but I also enjoy being alone.

• Satanus
    Satanus

loner, most of the time

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I'm with you, Strawberryfieldsforever, on being a loner.....it definitely saps me of my energy and sanity to be around other people, when they always want to talk a LOT, when I need to be alone in order to "regroup" my thoughts and efforts in dealing with life. I do better on computer, too.

Frannie B

• freedom96
    freedom96

I enjoy being around quality people mostly, but t here are times too, that I enjoy being alone.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Basically, I'm a loner. Although I truly do like people, I'm much better one on one than in a group. And, I have no problem being alone, as long as I know that I have someone near that I can reach out to.

But, when the ocassion calls for it, I can function in a group; it's just not my thing. When I'm with a group, even family, I tend to be observant rather than the center of attention. I don't dislike people, but I dislike too much input.

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit