Any funny stories of when a"brother" giving a talk, said something "funny" or "questionable", and didn't even realize it?

by Dunedain 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway
    We had a very prominent P.O. Powerful guy, respected everywhere. His ministerial servant son, always trying to rise to prominence like his father, was giving a talk one night. He lost his place, and, bewildered, muttered 'Jesus.'
  • Ohiamfree
    Ohiamfree
    In my cong there was a new Nigerian elder who didn't realise that S.H.I.T was a swear word in the UK. He went on to tell an illustration about a dog eating S.H.I.T for some reason,can't remember context. It was incredible. It took a while for us to realise he really was swearing, on the platform.
  • EdenOne
    EdenOne

This one I didn't witness, so I may be reproducing a JW urban legend, but here goes. In my country, soccer is the king of sports. Three local teams are arch-rivals, and people follow them, sometimes with an irrational passion. To the point that usually exhortations from the platform must be given to ask for moderation and "neutrality" and "avoidance of idolatry".

Well, this elder was delivering the public talk. It was a hot day, no A/C, so the doors and windows of the KH were opened. At the same time, a big match between two of these major teams of the league was going on, and some neighbour of the KH had the game loud on the radio. At some point, one of the teams scored a goal and the reporter on the radio screamed "goalllllllllllll!!" The speaker excitedly bursted: "goallllllllllllllllllll !!!!!!! Goal, goal, goal, brothers!!!!!!!!!" Obviously, his favorite team had just scored. The audience looked at him in shock. When he realized what he had just done, he gatherd his papers, apologized, and left the platform. He was removed from Elder after this.

Eden

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

for a while there was a lot of inter congregational football matches being played across the circuit and the county they even spread across most parts of the country at times and were taken very seriously, it got to the stage the results of the matches started to be announced in the Service Meeting in a cong of a friend of mine , naturally a new CO put a stop to this, imagine the speaker making these announcements " brothers and sisters the recent inter congregational football results ;

Farnham 3 Camberley 1

Wimbledon 5 Woking 2

Guildford 4 Petersfield 2

Bracknell 6 Maidenhead 3

and thats all the football results tonight brothers , now for the next item on the service meeting.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I remember a really hot sister giving an experience on the platform at a 2-day assembly, and making a very Freudian slip in her story; she'd said "sexual" instead of "skeptical"

Thing was, the word "sexual" also worked in the context of the sentence, so that made it extra funny.

Everyone laughed, of course... including her, to her credit, and she corrected herself and carried on as if nothing had happened (which quite impressed me, actually).

• JustMe2
    JustMe2

During the Watchtower study, a sister was talking about Jesus' entry into Jerusalem and said that he rode in on the "ass of a colt." She realized what she said and immediately corrected herself: He rode in on a "colt's ass."

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

We were getting a lecture from the C.O about meeting attendance and how easy we have it compared to others. He said that in some developing countries,the brothers and sisters sometimes have to wade through swamp infested Alligators, just to get to a meeting.

(should have said Alligator infested swamps)

• Ich3b
    Ich3b
    I'm still looking for that mp3...
    JWTALK may have it, but I'm not welcome on their site

Here you go wifibandit, consider it an early Christmas present from your friends over at jwtalk

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

A local elder in one of his first public talks was referring to that horrible bubonic plague in the late middle ages. The fact that he used an incorrect phrase, Blue Bonnet Plague, three times showed that he knew absolutely nothing about what he was talking about.

Len

• pronomono
    pronomono
    One brother mentioned during a public talk that we shouldn't give a half-assed effort in our service to Jehovah....... He thought the saying was half-fast.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit