Any funny stories of when a"brother" giving a talk, said something "funny" or "questionable", and didn't even realize it?

by Dunedain 70 Replies latest jw experiences

• Dunedain
    Dunedain

There were always all types of speakers in the org. Myself, growing up a "witness", must have heard all types of talks, and given by all manner of speakers, especially on Sundays, when almost every week we would get a "visiting" brother giving the public talk.

Sometimes, you would have a "great" speaker, all fluent and animated. Other times we would get a comical speaker, one who would maybe purposelly get a few laughs outta the audience. Many times, there would be the boring, monotonous speaker, dull and mind numbing. Then, of course, you would get the judgemental assholes, with their "fire and brimstone", pointing the finger, accusing everybody. Finally, you would ,sometimes, get a KNUCKLEHEAD. Like some idiot who had no clue what he was saying, and thought he was the greatest speaker, but fumbled his words like a drunken sailor.

Anyway, the experience i am sharing, is about a "knucklehead" speaker that came to visit one Sunday, and i will never forget the stupid thing he said on the stage.

First, i will give ya a quick background of the congregation i grew up in. I was born and raised in one of the boroughs of NYC. As most people know, NYC is a very "diverse" area, of all nationalities, and races. Although this is the case, my congregation was essentially a mostly "white" congregation. This was pretty rare for the area i am from, and in my congregation there was almost an "air" of exclusivity, eliteism, a little racism, and most members were kinda wealthy, which in turn, made some "snooty" and "uppity".

Well one Sunday, we had a visiting black brother from another congregation, giving the public talk. He seemed like a nice dude, pretty cool, but he was a little bit of a "knucklehead" when it came to speaking. The "funny" thing that this brother said, during his talk, that i have not forgotten till this day, was the following.

He was talking about "worldly" expressions, and how we dont have any, but maybe we SHOULD, have some, and how we should be looking forward to our meetings and service, not like the world looks forward to "their" things. So the brother says, "Yes, just like the world says T.G.I.F, for Thank God Its Friday", "but we as brothers and sisters should have our expression, So Happy Its Thursday, for our Thursday meeting".

At this point, i noticed some of the uppity bros and siss, squirming and shifting in their seats a bit. Later on, cause i was younger, my Father pointed out to me, that in the brother comparing T.G.I.F to "our" So Happy Its Thursday, would be S.H.I.T.

This knucklehead, from the platform, said our expression should be S.H.I.T, without realizing it. Because if you compare the "worlds" T.G.I.F( Thank God Its Friday), to ( So Happy Its Thursday) you get S.H.I.T. I still wonder till this day, did the brother know this, and was subliminally dropping this curse, or was he so stupid, and didnt even realize he told the congregation, he was visiting, that their expression should be SHIT. Either way, its good stuff.

It was funny, back then, watching all the stuffy, rich assholes in my congregation, looking around at each other, not sure what they should do, and "did he really just say that", sort of look.

Anyway, that was my funny story from the stage, that i remember. Sorry it was a little long, but i wanted to share it. Anybody else, got any funny stories from the stage, where the speaker had No idea what he just said?

• Simon
    Simon

I remember a brother from Lancashire describing the Israelite exodus from Egypt got all animated when he described how "Jehovah killed all them Egyptian buggers in't red sea".

Not a "saying" something funny but one brother kept hitching his chair back on the platform to make room at a service meeting (cramped stage) until he did it once too often and the back leg of his chair went off the edge. To this day, I don't know how the fat old guy tipped backward off the platform (2-3 ft high), spun right over and landed on the floor, still sat on his chair, all four legs on the ground.

Everyone clapped.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

So Happy It's Thursday - SHIT, so appropriate for meeting and the brother didn't even realize it

Dunedain, can you disclose which borough you're from, or you might be found out, I'm in Queens.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I have mention this before, an elderly brother doing the mid week meeting. I was new,

baptized no more then a year. The brother made the statement, never lay with a women

when she is masturbating. He meant to say never lay with a women when she is menstruating.

Boy that got my attention, you could hear a pin drop in the KH. One of the brothers corrected him,

man I was happy to hear that.

• Dunedain
    Dunedain
    @ - ShirleyW - Not too far, from the old WBBR. Hint, Hint. . . . . .
  • kairos
    kairos

The S.H.I.T. story.

That happened in my area, too.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Dunedain - WBBR ??

Does the W stand for Watchtower if so then I know what borough

• Dunedain
    Dunedain
    @ - Kairos - Yeah, it was the same S.H.I.T., different story, lol.
  • Dunedain
    Dunedain
    @ - Shirley - Nope, not Brooklyn. The WBBR was the old radio station that the WTS used to have on "rural" Staten Island, back in the day. Staten Island has changed A LOT, since then, some would say it might as well be "old Brooklyn", now. Anyway, its Staten Island, and my granparents ONLY spoke Italian, just like the rest of the Island, lol.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Although I've been across the Verazzano Bridge a few times, Staten Island is the only borough I've never stepped foot in. All I know is Father Capadano Blvd, a main street there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit