What Is The Stupidest Rule You've Encountered As a Witness?

by minimus 90 Replies latest jw friends

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I love this thread! I hadn't forgotten how much I DON'T want to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses, but I had kind of forgotten how infuriatingly ridiculous and controlling they are.

Reading these reminders has actually made me mad again.

But that's good.

And besides, I was born mad, and I have a relapse daily.

Seeit

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

I forgot to mention the new rule they laid down that ticked me off, just before I left - one of the minor ones, not the huge, mean ones - they declared a ban on "tailgate parties" at the conventions and assemblies, whatever those are; they said we could not eat lunch in the parking lot out of the back of our SUVs or whatever - that it smacked of the world.

HOW STUPID. We had to eat somewhere and weren't supposed to go off site. And eating inside is stuffy and it makes a mess.

Again, HOW STUPID. Sounds like Jaracz.

• Alf3831
    Alf3831

Wow, I have encountered many odd rules, among them are the following:

If you are either privately or publically reproved or also disfellowshipped, you can't be appointed a ministerial servant until three years has expired from the time you were reinstated. Hmmm, I guess Peter denying Christ three times, then leading the ministy shortly after his resurrection meant they didnt abide by the 3-year rule back in the first century.

If you divorce your mate for something other than adultery, you are technically still married and unable to date another. However, if you were to have sexual relations with your now divorced mate, you could get disfellowshipped for fornication, given you are no longer "legally" married....huh???????

I always thought it was rather odd when sisters would divorce their mate for something other than adultery...hold out on any sexual activity with their now divorced rape, then occasionally call and ask "Am I scripturally free yet?" Meaning, has the former mate had intimate relations with another. When this occurs, then the sister or brother, is now free to pursue another, given they now have grounds for a biblical divorce. huh??????????

Odd indeed.

Alf3831

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

In Japan, it was announced from the platform (all over, on many occasions) at District Assemblies that karaoke was inappropriate for Christians. Since I loved karaoke and honestly could not imagine how there was anything wrong with it, I snuck to karaoke places with a few friends anyway. But the thing is, we honestly had to sneak and be careful who we told about it. That is really and truly absurd.

SNG

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Weird, SNG! I've never known any Witnesses in the US to have any problem with karaoke. What was the reasoning behind that?

• Satans little helper
    Satans little helper

the beard thing was the stupidest thing I ever heard. A complete bunch of freaks

• fader
    fader

1. Women couldn't give talks.

2. Women couldn't wear slacks.

3. As a rule, single women couldn't go to Bethel.

4. A woman had to cover her head in front of her 10 year old son if he was baptized.

5. Counting field service time.

6. Birthdays no, Anniversaries yes. What???

7. No Girl Scout Cookies.

8. After school activities bad.

gosh, there's just so many!!

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

In our cong. low hour publishers could not hold a microphone. Guess that eliminates any of the Governing Body, from being used.

• badwillie
    badwillie

Can't join the gym at the YMCA. Stupid!

• Strawberryfieldsforever
    Strawberryfieldsforever

I remember when you couldn't say "bulletin board" You had to say information board. I guess it was pagan or something. Never did now why

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit