McVeigh vs Death Penalty

by Amazing 272 Replies latest jw friends

• ros
    ros

To Expatbrit:

Then perhaps the US system of incarceration needs work?

An understated indisputable fact if there ever was one! Bingooooo!

Ros
    "A religion that teaches lies cannot be true"--The Watchtower, 12/1/91 pg. 7

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    ....by killing another human for whatever reason, we are as bad as this man.

What a truly sick and perverted view of life and death you take, IMO.

Somehow, I can't help but thinking in the real world, beyond the cushy world of philosophical debate, you think and act quite differently. Somehow, I can't see you, in real life, viewing the executioner the same as the executed.

And if the victim were someone you loved, I'd be especially surprised to see you make that statement.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

janh, what do you have against revenge?

True revenge, targeted revenge, has a certain equivalency that I would think appeals to you math types .

• jelly
    jelly

Hello,

Just wanted to pop in and thank Expatbrit for his Answers to my questions.

Jelly

• serafin
    serafin

venice,

with all due respects.....I find you to be extremely attractive.

please email me ..and confer me the honor to correspond with you.

[email protected]

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

We have mostly come from a society where we were exposed to patterns of thought we agreed with and later rejected, realising nature of the society had lead us to accept patterns of thought we, on exposure to othr thoughts, found invalid.

I believe if you grow up in a society where it's okay for the government to make judicial killings, many people accept it because of societal conditioning.

In Germany after the war they abolished the death penalty. The majority of the population were against the change. They had grown up in a society where it was right to judicially kill.

Nowadays, only about 15% of Germans are in favour of re-introducing the death penalty. Most have grown up in a society where it was wrong to judicially kill, and believe that the death penalty is barbaric.

In Spain, there are many religious festivals where animals are treated with great cruelty. People have been bought up with it, and many think it's fine. If you haven't been bought up with it, it's barbaric.

In various Roman Catholic countries in the developing word the still have festivals where someone gets semi-crucified. They have been bought up with it and many think it's fine. If you haven't been bought up with it, it's barbaric.

In America, people have been bought up to think the death penalty is fine, and many think it's fine.

It's just like JW's think letting little children die because blood transfusions are wrong is the right thing to do.

The JW's have been wharped by their background, and their apologistic defence of their stance is meaningless.

Likewise, many American's have been wharped by their background and their apologisitc defence of the death penalty is meaningless. They don't care that the death penalty is ineffective, or that it results in innocent people being killed judicially due to faults in the legal system. They just think judicial killing is right.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but if it is true of the examples like Germany, Spain, developing Roman Catholic countries, and Jehovah's Witnesses, it logically is true of the US.

I've travelled a lot in the USA and like American's and their country.

I just think that their stance on the death penalty is barbaric and a concequence of their background, just as my stance on the death penalty is a concequence of my background. American's are not 'bad' in supporting the death penalty, they are just victims of their background.

Just as bull-baiting and cock-fighting have virtaully dies out in many countries as it's now considered barbaric, so will the death penalty die out.

The only question is how many innocent people will be deprived of their lives by an inherantly imperfect judicial system before it is abolished in the US again.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo
    I can't see you, in real life viewing the executioner the same as the executed

My criticism is not of the executioner, but of the society we live and society as a whole. If we pass laws that mean the killing of another human, i believe we are becoming murderers ourselves.

and if the victim were someone you loved, i would be especially surprised to see you make that statement
    Your probably right, however i would not be viewing the issue objectively.

Yours dig

Think not about trying to add days to your life, but instead think about adding life to your days.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Abaddon,

You make some excellent points.....I too believe that our opinions are based upon social conditioning.

If you speak to those of the older generation in the uk, there are many who believe we should bring back hanging for child perverts, etc.

Our views are based upon the society in which we grow....may be that is why there are strong views on this subject.

Yours dig

Think not about trying to add days to your life, but instead think about adding life to your days.

• logical
    logical

I saw on a movie once where this woman was sentenced to lethal injection, the judge passing the sentence said "may God have mercy on your soul"

What a totally hypocritical thing to say!!!

• logical
    logical

Is that what they say in real life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit