Beards are now allowed - New Light

by Listener 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ ElderBerry…

So…

…do you actually think that the Org can successfully accomplish genuine mainstream reform?

And survive?

• WokenfromJWcult
    WokenfromJWcult

The GB wants to distinguish the outward looks of their “men” with the clean shaven Mormons. Watch out for young women now who stop shaving their legs in protest and put on a French persona.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

It's obvious that they are lowing the bar to have more brothers do more and stay and be appointed.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

What I didn't like and agree with was how Lett at least 2 times say Paul under inspiration wrote. What Paul wrote back then was good for back then. It is just good advice today. He wasn't inspired in the sense that God told him or prompted him to write that. He was inspired in that he knew God's heart and direction on the matter.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

M.M. writes:For all these years jehovah's witnesses have been practicing paganism and didn't even know it.🤣

*** w68 5/1 p. 286 Questions From Readers ***

Jesus, born a Jew, “came to be under law” and he fulfilled the Law. (Gal. 4:4; Matt. 5:17) This was in order that he might pave the way for the abolishing of the Law and for release of the Jews from the curse of the Law, the condemnation of death that it brought against them. (Eph. 2:15; Gal. 3:13) Like all other Jews, Jesus was under obligation to keep the whole law. One of the commandments of the Law was: “You must not cut your side locks short around, and you must not destroy the extremity of your beard.” (Lev. 19:27) God doubtless gave Israel this law because among some pagans it was the practice to cut the beard in a certain fashion in worship of their gods. (Jer. 9:26; 25:23) Nevertheless, that law did not mean that a beard was not to be well kept, for in the Near East a well-groomed beard was considered a symbol of dignity and respectability.—2 Sam. 19:24.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

ThomasMore - “…Brothers don’t fade because they want to grow a beard…”

Vidiot: "Nope, they grow a beard because they want to fade."

That's a good point.👍 It's a cheap, low risk approach.

As an outsider, I never quite understood why, since beards were so abhorrent, that growing one didn't kind of automatically lead to disfellowshipment. Not directly, but it seems to me to be a lost opportunity. A zealous BOE could see beard growing as the tip of an iceberg and simply Star Chamber and kangaroo court the bloke until they basically have the result they want.

What is the attitude of the organisation towards frequency of disfellowshipments within a congregation? Do they like lots of them? Does too many of them concern them. Is a CO likely to start asking questions if there are too few or too many?

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

A curious detail.... beards were already allowed in some countries. The Org has alway made some allowances when it comes to appearance in some countries where there are some cultural nuances.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

This was on the EX JW humor FB page. :)

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Hmm.

Never considered that question before.

• mikronboy
    mikronboy

My family aren't able to grow beards!!! In fact, my grandfather was instructed to grow a moustache during WW1. He managed a respectable 12 hairs in all and was told that six a side was only permissible in soccer games.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit