Beards are now allowed - New Light

by Listener 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Ties go next.

Few businessmen wear them now except for formal occasions. Knorr used to go on and on about "business attire", however, the cheap polyester suits at the Kingdom Hall never reflected traditional business attire at any office I ever worked in.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

2023 has been one hell of a crisis year for WTBTS! Nothing good that I can think of...only bad, negative & unfavorable crap...and to think that we still have 15 or so days remaining in the year.

Oh...I almost forgot...did y'all hear that a few days ago 'Mother' got her ass kicked in a court case in Spain by a small group of brave exJWs?

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

This is how Steven Lett looks with a beard thanks to AI (Artificial Intelligence). I think he looks much better and maybe he should really take the lead in beard growing among the GB.

May be an image of 1 person and smiling

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Damn, he looks like Mitch Pillegi from The X-Files.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It’s funny…

…back in they day, one of the more compelling (and less dodgy) arguments the WT leadership used was that a clean-shaven look was viewed as respectable… in The World.

Ten bucks says the current crop would rather gargle with broken glass than admit anything in The World can even be respectable.

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I have a list of the top 10 things I hate about the Governing Body, and the 'beard issue' was one of them. Not that I ever wanted to grow one, but because of the fact the Governing Body has (now had) the audacity to ban, a man's natural choice. Quite frankly, its just another example showing that the Governing Body are no different than the rule making Pharisees of Jesus's day.

On a side note ... now I'm going to have to see a whole bunch of pimply youths, trying to grow one.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

"Jehovah has dignified the Brothers ".

No, on the contrary, beards are not dignified.

Shaving is to be done in the morning when brushing the teeth as regular hygiene. If people wear beards, what's next, letting hair in the ears and nose grow out?

• Listener
    Listener

The Matt 24 teaching of ‘this generation’ used to be my go to topic when talking to JWs if they mention being bible based. This was a simple discussion.

Im considering using this current change in relation to beards as well. It’s possible to compare it to the mormons and their no caffeine rule.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I have a history with beards.

In the fall of 1968 (my senior year) I grew the first beard at Bellevue (Washington) High School. In 1973 I joined the JW's and shaved it off. In 1988 I left the JW's and grew it back. It's been there ever since.

For years I had to listen to the GB bloviating about how beards were a sign of rebellion in the world. When I grew the beard back I found it interesting that "the world" didn't care.

The problem for the JW's is that no amount of nibbling around the edges

will change the fact that most of their doctrines are batshit crazy.

PS: He sounds like he thinks this is the way to talk to a room full of mentally challenged children.

• Listener
    Listener

I spoke to my never a JW husband about this and his immediate reaction was that they are having a numbers problem and softening up.

I told him that the 'no beards' rule was never a rule that they put in writing for JW men in general and it was only written in relation to appointed Brothers and full time volunteers.

He thinks that this will be where the biggest problem lies with JWs. He said that it is when unwritten rules change that it becomes harder for people to accept than if the original rule had been written.

His reasoning is that it's easy enough for people to accept a change in rules when the written rule has changed from one thing to another. It's clear in their mind and easily acceptable but when the original rule was unwritten the individual has had to make a decision to take ownership of it and accept it. They claim the original rule for themselves, to put it another way, they bought into it. Now to be told that it was basically wrong it will be very hard for them to accept that view. They will continue to feel that it's wrong.

I said that the problem should be easy as these Brothers can simply choose not to have a beard he said yes but there will be those that will look down or express their disappointment/disapproval in their fellow Brothers for choosing to grow one. They will continue to feel that it's unacceptable.

The GB did address some Brothers being disappointed by stating that they shouldn't be because they were loyal and obedient. But it's not addressing all those Brothers who accepted the unwritten rule who weren't in positions where it supposedly only applied to.

This would feel like an attack on their own rules of modesty.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit