Ray's Books. And Copyrights!

by DwainBowman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    Oubliette, there haven't been many advocating some sort of illegal activity in regards to the copyright of Rays books at all, you are looking at a mere tiny handful , the majority of us have expressed disbelief, frustration in regards to the availability of the books , and there has been an agenda driven reason these threads have appeared on here today and the copyright issue is a secondary one, you couldn't make this stuff up!
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Not going to wade into the copyright argument, it's all been said and frankly it's a no-brainer. This whole issue revolves around a book dedicated to the quest for a clean conscience, does anyone really need to have the concept of 'doing the right thing' explained to them?

If you benefited from Ray's books please consider donating to Deborah Dykstra so others can too.

You can whine or you can help.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Why are donations required? It doesn't cost money to publish a popular book. It makes money.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    SBF its a license to print money !
  • breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Just a couple random musings. . . .

You can read a LEGAL copy of Crisis of Conscience right now FOR FREE!

Just go to your local library and see if they have any copies in the system. My county library system has two. My university system has several copies as well. All legal, costs nothing.

Also. . .

Crisis of Conscience is a really interesting read. However, in the past few years since it's been unavailable to buy legally, I'm fairly certain thousands of people have learned TTATT and woken up without it. I did. My wife did.

Books like CoC are interesting and perhaps persuasive for many readers, but in the end, what is really necessary to "wake up" is to develop critical thinking skills. . . . and then watch a couple episodes of JW broadcasting.

No book can do the work for you.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Let's be clear. You can buy secondhand copies perfectly legally. They are just pretty expensive. I've sold a few copies for around $70 which is by no means the most expensive secondhand copies have been selling for.

The point about printing illegal copies is a different issue. And the easiest way to combat it would be for the copyright owner to publish new copies at a regular retail price.

• Giordano
    Giordano

A read of the website indicates that the thief's........ well intentioned or not........ provided a down loadable book that shut down the sales for Mrs. Franz's hard or soft covered books. Her concern was two fold the loss of a small but needed income and the loss of control over the words Ray had written, the ability of strangers to alter or change his work.

Amazon would not block the bootlegged copies being sold until they had the legal transfer copyright filing which in this case took two years...... this being a transfer of copyright not a simple filing of copyright.

Mr's Franz passed and the publisher of the book and his wife also passed. Deborah Dykstra was ill during this long wait and eventually had surgery from which she is recovering. The book will be published once again.

Some well intentioned folks who made a free copy available realizing what had happen re copy right issues have taken down their free download and have made a donation to Ms Dykstra. She is not going after anyone who kept Ray's book in circulation. The people who ripped off the book have been booted off Amazon etc.

Out of respect for Ray's work and the fact that it is a valuable addition for those needing help with their exit I made a donation through their paypal site.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

jookbeard, there haven't been many advocating some sort of illegal activity in regards to the copyright of Rays books

I know. The quote was aimed at them.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    I've never heard in all my life a book being taken out of print because of pirating or bootlegging copies, especially a book that has quite a large demand, Commentary Press and the entire subject surrounding Rays books is a shower and embarrassing and makes the exjw community look like idiots, certain people jumping on a bandwagon with an agenda driven reason dont help either.
    Good post Jookbeard , I'm with you Cappy & Breakfast, Chill people
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    ... embarrassing and makes the exjw community look like idiots...

You are absolutely right about that. I have been so disappointed in the idiots who refuse to acknowledge that there are laws that exist and with their refusal to acknowledge those laws.

I have dealt with my frustration and disappointment by (rightly or wrongly) attributing it to their upbringing inside a cult that does the exact same thing. Ignores the law just for their own selfish gain. And, the lack of comprehension of some people who claim that they read Deborah's message is astounding.

It truly is embarassing to be an observer of these levels of ignorance. But...I keep hoping that the cult cloak will drop at sometime for those people.

This IS the world - it is the way it operates. We are no longer captive to those cultic self-centered thoughts if we so chose to educate ourselves.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit