Ray's Books. And Copyrights!

by DwainBowman 75 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I did read the post. I don't understand why this person doesn't have the ability to publish the book and fight the copyright/bootlegging battle at the same time.

Yes, to illegally print this book and sell it for just under the legitimate price is disgusting. The person should rot in hell.

But to hold back in legally publishing the book (even just electronically) makes no sense whatsoever and really encourages people who WOULD LOVE TO PAY FOR THE BOOK to turn to the bootleg stuff.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    if you control the supply you control the price, just sayin'.
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    I'll continue to remove such comments.

Fair enough. It is your site, after all. (Appreciate it, by the way.)

But it would have been nice to have some kind of warning either prior to or while you deleted the comments. It riles people up when they think they've done nothing wrong and they get silenced.

However, that's just my personal preference and you have every right to delete anything on your own site without notice.

• Simon
    Simon

It was out of print because of the people selling bootleg copies - if you cannot sell it or a publisher won't touch it due to piracy then it's their fault. They are the ones completely to blame for the situation as it currently is.

It sounds like it will soon hopefully be resolved and can be made available again for legitimate purchase.

• Simon
    Simon
    It riles people up when they think they've done nothing wrong and they get silenced.

No one is being silenced, I'm just enforcing the posting guidelines and putting a stop to people trying to bring disagreements from elsewhere onto this site. If you have a problem with someone's youtube comments go talk to them or youtube. Whether you dislike someone's religion or not has nothing todo with the publishing of this book IMO.

But it would have been nice to have some kind of warning either prior to or while you deleted the comments. It riles people up when they think they've done nothing wrong and they get silenced.

That is completely impractical and unrealistic for many reasons. I posted why the comments were removed and I think you knew exactly why they were removed but there is always PM in case things aren't clear. I just don't want this site to be turned into someone else's battleground.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    And that has what effect on electronic versions?
  • Simon
    Simon
    if you control the supply you control the price, just sayin'.
    And that has what effect on electronic versions?

Can you see the link between your two comments?

Electronic versions and people printing fake copies mean that they don't have the control over the supply / price as they should. Even electronic publishing has some cost and I don't know what balance of e-book vs print book were in demand but the piracy was impacting the ability to have it legitimately published - no publisher want's to compete with "free".

Ultimately, having someone always willing to undercut and steal has a serious impact on the ability to have a sustained supply.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

i meant on commentary press releasing electronic versions for sale at a sensible price point. I understand the lack of printing physical books for the reasons given.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    boc: I did read the post. I don't understand why this person doesn't have the ability to publish the book and fight the copyright/bootlegging battle at the same time.

That is why Deborah hired a lawyer and followed the advice that the lawyer gave her.

You said you read the post - but she explains in there why she couldn't publish the book while she was fighting against piracy. No publisher wants to pick up a book to publish while there are copyright infringement battles going on.

The reason this book has not been available is because of the copyright infringements to begin with.

Don't blame the copyright holder - blame those who disrespected the copyright.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    I've never heard in all my life a book being taken out of print because of pirating or bootlegging copies, especially a book that has quite a large demand, Commentary Press and the entire subject surrounding Rays books is a shower and embarrassing and makes the exjw community look like idiots, certain people jumping on a bandwagon with an agenda driven reason dont help either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit