1975 selling of houses

by Paul Bonanno 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

It 'may' come at a time when you least expect it 'evidently' there is a time when we can least expect it 'perhaps' like a thief in the night 'apparently' it 'could' come as a surprise.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I knew of one family with lots of kids who wanted to sell their house and buy a trailer. Then 1975 hit and they left altogether .

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

WANNAEXIT:

It would be nice to believe that when 1975 came and went without a whisper..that most intelligent people would have walked away from the Witness religion.

This is regardless of whether or not they made crazy decisions like selling their houses, etc. This ‘event’ or non-event should have told them right then and there that it’s all a crock of shit.. They should have reacted the way I DID when I heard the 1995 Generation teaching: I planned my ‘Fade’. I was DONE with it and have been Out many years.

I’m sure most of the people who sold everything back then probably never totally recovered. If they were young, maybe.. But, if they walked away from the awful religion at least they would have been free of mind games and manipulation and lived out the rest of their lives as normal human beings.

• Hellothere
    Hellothere
    Got a funny story. Before I researched the 1975 teaching, i thought it was made up. But my mother told me about an incident that happened about that time. She was living in the countryside in South America. In the middle of nowhere. There was a man that was in love with the neighbours wife. Just before 1975 he road into neighbours house on his horse and fled with neighbours wife. The reason was he thought world would end 1975 and he wanted to spend his last time with the women he loved 😊. Don't know what happened with both of them after that. But it's a true story. It made me look up 75 teaching's. Cause if this could happen in remote place in South America, then end world teachings most have been ingrained in jws minds back then.
  • peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

We sold everything and moved to preach. That was almost 20 years later. The influence over life decisions hardly ended with 1975.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

I started a thread 16 years ago about the 1975 debacle. I went through this non-event. We were studying a Watchtower article where the Society blamed its members for the debacle ... ''reading into things, becoming disheartened, slowing down in the field ministry and had little time for spiritual matters.''

RULES & REGULATIONS

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

Fortunately my JW mom and her JW parents did not sell their houses back in 1975. My mom didn't sell her house (which I grew up in) till very recently. She inherited and is keeping the house her JW parents had till their death.

• waton
    waton

''reading into things, becoming disheartened, slowing down--"

" even dogs have more loyalty than the wayward ones"

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

ahh ,,,,1975,,,,could anyone ever expect an 'apology'.. NEVER, EVER, EVER. Same way the Borg keeps on rachetting down it's us vs them mentality; What could one really expect.

• Gorb
    Gorb

In the congregation, yes.

My father, bought houses then and many eyebrows rised.

We did not believe in 1975.

G.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit