1975 selling of houses

by Paul Bonanno 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Rivergang
    Rivergang
    or they have decided they have no other place to go since they have so much "invested" in JWism.

That answers the question raised by other posters as to why there wasn't a massive walk-out by JWs after the 1975 debacle!

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

I remember telling a lady I was doing some work for that the world would end in 1975...and at the same time in the back of my mind knowing no ones know the day or hour. But.....that wasn't the first end prediction and I don't remember the dates...late 1800's or early 1900's ...any I read about this...the WT predicted the end and many who were farmers didn't put in a crop because they thought the world would end and there wouldn't be a need to have a crop to harvest. So when the end didn't come, many were left in sorry straights. To me that is worse than the 1975 issue, because at that date in history, many lived off their land so to speak, so it wouldn't be as easy to start again...these ones wouldn't have a cash crop to sell or a crop to supply food. Just horrible!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

You can still find this comment at Watchtower On Line

Reports are heard of brothers selling their homes and property and planning to finish out the rest of their days in this old system in the pioneer service. Certainly this is a fine way to spend the short time remaining before the wicked world’s end”

May ‘74 Kingdom Ministry. “ How Are You Using Your Life.?”

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Remember a great number of us did not own anything to sell and semi retire.

It irks me to hear the examples of business men selling out, employing contract labor ( illegally), being held up as examples.

Same for the CO bragging about his world travels while eating a meal paid by some one else.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    "...we don't have to guess what the year 1975 means if we read the Watchtower. ...And don't wait 'till 1975. The door is going to be shut before then....As one brother put it, "Stay alive to Seventy-Five..."---- Wisconsin Sheboygan District Overseer Brother Charles Sinutko 1967.

What a pillock!

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ROAD TO NOWHERE:

I also couldn’t stand any of the bragging there and holding up certain people as ‘examples’ we should follow.

While I understand what you said about these business men, my pet peeve was pioneers being held up as examples. I wasn’t about to follow the example of people who lived on the edge.

As far as the CO bragging and having his meals paid for by other people: I never really cared for circuit overseers. To me all they did was parrot the party line and push pioneering. They had a general negative attitude towards people like me who had a full time job.

So, when they would ask who was going to host or feed the CO, I always felt they had to be joking.. This guy could go eat at a fast food place and order a No. 9 with fries for all I cared!

• Foolednomore
    Foolednomore

A Good Example of entitlement was when my mom ran a bakery in the States a pioneer sister came into the bakery an said she was here for her bread and since she is a pioneer and we " have money" we should give her bread. My mom was really disappointed by this. The Pioneer did not get any bread.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

Going a little off topic here, but following along from the last post, there were many who had the attitude “pioneering gives you the licence to sponge”.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

RIVERGANG:

Getting back on topic to the 1975 thing: what do you think must’ve happened in congregations after 1975 came and went without a whisper?

What happened with people who sold everything and were broke but still decided to stay in the JW religion? You can rest assured there was lots of ‘sponging’ going on there. I remember hearing from my study conductors about a particular family there looking for $ who kept on targeting an affluent family there. Personally, I don’t know why this family just didn’t say ‘No’.

As far as pioneers: I made the same observation you did but I never gave them anything. Nope. Not after how I got criticized for my full time job. So, I wasn’t ‘spiritual’ for working full time??.. Go ask somebody else for handouts then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit