1975 selling of houses

by Paul Bonanno 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'Armageddon' hasn't come yet because "Jehovah is patient'. OMG, what will they think of next. ROFL

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

IT WAS THE FAITHFUL AND DISCREET SLAVE WHO HEAVILY PROMOTED 1975 AS ''THE END OF THE SYSTEM OF THINGS''...NOT THE BROTHERS AND SISTERS!

Very true ,and I never did buy into it ,though I was mindful of it just in case .

And I was a little bit disgusted that they blamed the R&F for misleading the bros & sisters.

However it still took me many years to leave the cult?

I must be thick in the head .

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    We were studying a Watchtower article where the Society blamed its members for the debacle ... ''reading into things, becoming disheartened, slowing down in the field ministry and had little time for spiritual matters.''

I remember vividly my confusion at this. I was 14 at the time.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere
    Patient while population increases, faithful die off without seeing the promise.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

I know of a couple (now shuffled off this mortal coil), that sold their house because of the 1975 lie. I won't name them, you probably wouldn't know who they were anyway.

I remember my dear old Dad saying that 1975 was a marked year but not necessarily 'Armageddon(tm)'.

SIGH!

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

Not only real estate sales, but also: car sales, and other material possessions in addition to quitting jobs! After this cult-debacle was discovered, many a dub had to shack with family members and close friends who did not go WILLY- NILLY/"CHICKEN-LITTLE-THE SKY-IS-FALLING"! frantic-panic. These dubs (no doubt SPIMIs) had to start all over again/from scratch. These are the same dubs who followed the Borg to the letter and psychologically agreed with Fred Franz when he remarked: "It is your fault! You wanted this to happen! We (the Borg) didn't have anything to do with this!" and blah, blah, blah--disavowing all knowledge, as usual! ๐Ÿคจ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜ค

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

If Armageddon will come when it is least expected, then it will never happen for JWs. They are in constant expectation of it. Every news item is evidence that things are so bad that humanity cannot last another minute. Every news items is the fulfillment of one of the signs of the end. Every second that passes is one second closer to the Day of Jehovah, which is due any second now.

And since it's all going to end in a second, give the WTS all of your money. The booze cabinet is almost empty!!!

• wannaexit
    wannaexit
    it would be nice to believe that when 1975 came and went without a whisper..that most intelligent people would have walked away from the Witness religion.

The opposite happened, the ones who were smart enough to leave were considered weak christians.

• Captain Schmideo2
    Captain Schmideo2

My uncle. His reasoning was "If it wasn't going to happen, then why would they keep emphasizing it in the talks?"

Um, yeah, sure.

I guess he did okay. I thought the place he moved to was beautiful. But he still died without seeing any of those promised being fulfilled.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

I know of a congregation that went ahead with land purchase for a new Kingdom Hall on the grounds that they wouldn't have to worry about paying back the loan because Armageddon was coming in 18 months afterwards in (they reckoned) September 1975.

Unfortunately Armageddon didn't come and they struggled for around 2 decades paying back the money borrowed at quite a high interest rate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit