“Monkey this up”...

by minimus 85 Replies latest jw friends

• em1913
    em1913

See, there's where we disagree. You're looking at capitalism in, basically, a theological bubble.. I'm looking at in in terms of practical application. Our perspectives are so utterly opposed that there's really no grounds for a discussion, because I don't accept your basic premise and you don't accept mine. For me to argue on your grounds, I would have to accept your basic premise that capitalism is a "system of free voluntary exchange." Well, it's that because your theology, or your cosmogony or whatever, chooses to define it that way, and I don't agree with that definition. I'll give you my definition and then you'll disagree with that, and the rest of it will just go around in circles.

I have a pretty good friend who's a Libertarian of your style, and we've discussed these very points many times, And I know *exactly* what you'll say and the points you'll make, and I know exactly the points I'll make in return, and I could cut and paste the entire conversation here, and it would make absolutely no difference for either one of us, so why bother?

I think you should research the Black Codes a bit further. They were inextricably tied to the economic system of the post-bellum South, and were entirely driven by the holders of Southern capital in their practice of capitalism.

• Simon
    Simon
    For me to argue on your grounds, I would have to accept your basic premise that capitalism is a "system of free voluntary exchange." Well, it's that because your theology, or your cosmogony or whatever, chooses to define it that way, and I don't agree with that definition. I'll give you my definition and then you'll disagree with that, and the rest of it will just go around in circles.

If you apply different meanings to words than the rest of the populace uses, then trying to discuss anything with you is pointless because first we need to write a dictionary.

If you want to play silly word games with custom definitions, do it elsewhere. This silly "I have my own definition" nonsense is just pointless and unproductive and IMO designed to derail otherwise interesting discussions.

• Simon
    Simon
    ... looked so much like a frog ... He was Puerto Rican. Is that racist?

Only to Puerto Rican frogs.

My other answer was going to be:

Do you mean like a French person?

• em1913
    em1913

As you wish. Right is left and left is right, or so Brother Mustard would have us believe, and never the twain shall meet. I'll leave you now to your monkey memes.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@em1913:

If you feel this is pointless, then you don’t have to respond.

You say that you are looking at capitalism “in practical application.” Fine, alright. Then you should to be able to write a sentence or two, it doesn’t have to be long, and tell me how this occurs.

Define capitalism. I did it for you, so now your turn. Then, write a couple of statements showing *how* and *why* capitalism ITSELF is racist.

Note: this is still my *original* question to you.

If you like, you can use the example of the black codes. In your previous post, you encouraged me to go look it up more - because they really, really, really were an extension of capitalism.

No - that’s now how this works. YOU made the positive claim. I could go off for hours and research it, and when I come back with the same objection, you’ll simply say I need to look more. Nope. It’s your claim, your example, and it doesn’t show structural racism in capitalism. If you want me to think otherwise, try writing something. You’ve written long posts of almost pure BS and conjecture so far. How about a little focus... just one statement, one paragraph that actually answers my question.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

@em1913:

Also, and if you feel it’s not vanity and striving after the wind:

The great New England fortunes of early America were largely built on the slave trade -- and those of us here are only just beginning to come to terms with that.

What do you mean by “come to terms with that”? Clearly you were talking about slavery in New England. What does coming to terms with slavery look like to you? What specific things would have to occur before you say “Wow, we’ve really come to terms with that.”

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit