Dean meltdown

by Seven 63 Replies latest social current

• Seven
    Seven

Howard Dean...lol! Thank you! Thank you! Now perhaps the party will take a long and serious look at it's only electable candidate-John Kerry!! Moderate Republican women will put him in office.

Vote Kerry

As Dean Slips, The Democrats' Drama Rises

By Dan Balz, Washington Post Staff Writer, Tuesday, January 20, 2004, (here)

DES MOINES, Jan. 19 -- Iowa Democrats dealt a serious blow to the once front-running campaign of Howard Dean here Monday night and to predictions that the Democratic presidential race might end as quickly as it began.

With the big victory of Sen. John F. Kerry (Mass.), the party faces an open and potentially protracted contest to find a nominee to challenge President Bush in the fall.

Dean's vaunted grass-roots movement, which fueled the former Vermont governor's rise to the top of the Democratic field with money and energy in 2003, failed its first test at old-fashioned politics, falling far short of the bold claims of its architects.

Dean now has a week to regroup for what will be a critical test in next Tuesday's primary in New Hampshire, where retired Gen. Wesley K. Clark has been gaining ground on him and where Kerry will now be a major factor in the outcome.

...Not only did Dean's army fall short. Organized labor, the backbone of the Democratic Party's get-out-the-vote machinery, did not come close to delivering here for its most loyal warrior, Rep. Richard A. Gephardt (Mo.). Gephardt, who won the caucuses here in 1988, signaled an end to his campaign in an address to his supporters Monday night.

...The entrance poll also underscored Kerry's breadth of support. He won among men and women, among moderates and conservatives and those who described themselves as moderately liberal, among those with college degrees and those without. That kind of broad appeal for Kerry -- Dean won among those who described themselves as very liberal -- was evident in earlier polls in Iowa, though at a lower level, giving Kerry strategists confidence that if they invested heavily in the state, he could come out with a finish that revived his candidacy. Kerry also beat Dean among younger voters as well among those who say they frequently use the Internet to get political news, two groups considered core supporters of Dean.

How the Iowans Wised Up to Dean

By George F. Will, Washington Post, Wednesday January 21, 2004, (here)

Markets are mechanisms for generating and disseminating information. The term "market failure" denotes instances when markets behave inefficiently, preventing optimal outcomes because of barriers that prevent new products from competing, or because consumers receive insufficient information about competing products. Iowa's political market, called caucuses, where barriers to entry were negligible and information was abundant, worked well.

As with some other American arrangements (e.g., the electoral college, judicial review), no deliberation planned Iowa's system to function as it now does. But Monday night the nation's vetting of Democratic candidates began efficiently because a critical mass of information about Howard Dean, most of it impulsively and imprudently supplied by him, had reached that state's Democratic consumers. They responded by slowing the slide of the world's oldest party toward nominating a political novelty unsuited to the national market.

Dean is a problematic product because the fuel that launched his rocket -- a combustible brew of anger, pugnacity, moral vanity and intellectual condescension -- severely limits the apogee of his trajectory. Television enforces intimacy with candidates and presidents -- they are in America's homes nightly. Many intense Democrats have had the fun of picnicking on Dean's ideological red meat but are now flinching from the prospect of having, or of asking less-partisan Americans to have, prolonged intimacy with Dean's sandpapery personality and equally abrasive agenda. Gratuitously abrasive. Not only does he promise to raise middle-class taxes, he breezily acknowledges that because of his protectionism, "prices will go up at your local Wal-Mart."

DISASTER FOR DEAN IN IOWA

By Deborah Orin, Vincent Morris and Brian Blomquist, Tuesday January 20, 2004, (here)

January 20, 2004 -- In an Iowa meltdown, Howard Dean got socked with a disastrous third-place finish last night, as John Kerry pulled off a stunning political comeback to win the first-in-the-nation Democratic contest for president.

Dean's collapse, combined with the combined surge of Sen. Kerry (Mass.) and Sen. John Edwards (N.C.), who finished second, threw the race wide open.

It also raised fresh questions about Dean's temperament when he launched into a screaming, clenched-teeth rant before his supporters after the vote count.

Anything less than a win in Iowa was a clear disappointment for longtime front-runner Dean, but the distant third-place finish was a huge blow.

With 98 percent of the vote counted in last night, Kerry led with 38 percent, Edwards was in second place with 32 percent, Dean had only 18 percent, and Richard Gephardt had 11 percent.

Rolling up his shirt sleeves and shrieking so loud that his voice cracked, a raging Dean rallied his supporters with forced optimism and a pugilistic tone that stood in contrast to the formal upbeat speeches by his opponents.

"I'll see you around the corner, around the block," Dean said, sounding like a bully taunting Kerry and Edwards, whom he'll face in the New Hampshire primary Tuesday.

Why I love this photo of Dean going nuts ^

By Neil Steinberg, Chicago Sun-Times Columnist, Wednesday January 21, 2003, (here)
    See, that's why we have elections. The media had crowned Howard Dean and were happily hopping up and down chanting "Dean! Dean! Dean!'' when reality intruded. As good as it was to see Dean beaten by 20 points by the vastly more electable John Kerry, it was even better to see Dean's glittery-eyed, I'm-going-nuts-right-before-your-very-eyes post-caucus breakdown, and best of all to be reminded how much campaign news and analysis is just hot air blown between the ads and commercials.

Victors Show Wide Party Appeal

By Ronald Brownstein, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer, Tuesday January 20, 2003, (here)

DES MOINES ? Sens. John F. Kerry and John Edwards reshaped the Democratic presidential race in the Iowa caucuses Monday night by demonstrating broad appeal across the party, while former Gov. Howard Dean and Rep. Dick Gephardt saw their base of support crumble, according to a poll of voters.

Kerry, lagging behind Dean and Gephardt in Iowa until last week, beat them among virtually every major group of voters. Kerry displayed remarkably consistent appeal to men and women, working-class and more affluent voters, liberals and moderates, and those with and without college educations, the survey of caucus-goers found.

Edwards, in finishing a strong second, also showed an impressive reach, winning significant support from the same groups.

Although the Iowa impact on the New Hampshire primary has been uneven over the years, Monday's results could unsettle that contest. In recent polling, Dean's once-formidable lead in New Hampshire has eroded, with retired Army Gen. Wesley K. Clark, who chose not to compete in Iowa, a close second. Kerry, meanwhile, has surged to a virtual dead heat with Clark.

Both Kerry and Edwards are likely to receive a boost from the Iowa results, increasing the pressure on Dean and Clark and creating the potential for a tight four-way race in next Tuesday's New Hampshire vote.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Well, if Dean doesn't make it as the Dem candidate he can always appear on RAW or SMACKDOWN as a wrestler.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Sevenof Nine,

It is not the first time that a person given a false sense of reality by his immediate and sycophantic peers then foolishly concludes that the rest of the world feel similarly. It is the Politicians pit into which most eventually fall and from which none should ever dare ascend.

What is it with these people and their honed desire for public self-embrarrasment? Perhaps Reality TV shows are not enough to convince the world that America is a divided nation, divided between the 'beyond stupid' and those who cringe with embarrassment at them.

Just my opinion of course....lol

Best regards - HS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Thank you Dean sooooo much for turning off the American public, bless your heart!!!! I'm starting to get psyched about a Kerry-Clark or Kerry-Edwards ticket.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Thank you Dean sooooo much for turning off the American public, bless your heart!!!! I'm starting to get psyched about a Kerry-Clark or Kerry-Edwards ticket.

Me too!!

I heard one commentator, Monday night, say that Dean acted like he didn't get it, that he lost..................a distant third. I thought his face was going to explode.............he literally was purple. Poor guy, but at least he isn't the leader now. I didn't know who I would vote for...............I just knew who it wasn't going to be.

• freedom96
    freedom96

Dean is an idiot.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

The key word for the Democrats in the upcoming Presidential bid is electability.

Dean doesn't have it. Much as I like the man, his politics are too radical, even in a political climate as polarized as this year's election.

Personally, I'd like to see a Clark-Edwards ticket.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Please, please, please, please, please let's not have Nader again dividing the vote and making it a shoo-in for Bush.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I've liked Clark for his anti-Iraq War stance and the fact that he didn't have anything to do with the vote on Iraq unlike Kerry.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

Whether he gets the nomination or not, Dean has a valid function in this race, just as Kucinich does, being that they represent the Democrat wing of the DNC. Kerry is just a republicrat, much like Lieberman. Kerry might well appeal to centrist republican soccer moms, but Republicans are going to vote on party lines all the way down the card this time.

I still think if Kucinich didn't look like Alfred E. Newman he'd stand a better chance. His strategy is pretty interesting. He knows he won't win a single primary, but he is counting on getting SOME of the delegates from each state (which he did in Iowa). In a brokered Convention, its conceivable, though a long shot, the man in last place could actually end up the nominee. Anyway I digress. Dean wouldn't be my favorite candidate for president, but anyone who was for the Iraqi conquest, I don't care much about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit