Crisis of Conscience- World Wide Cease & Desist

by Newly Enlightened 73 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• boyzone
    boyzone
    I recall this forum allowing links to PDF copies of CofC and ISOCF just after Ray died. In fact it was a bookmarked topic and enthusiastically promoted as a good thing Were these legit?
  • Simon
    Simon
    Sounds like a stalker to me.

You sound like an idiot because your claim is simply idiotic.

Imagine turning up at court claiming you are being stalked and that was all your evidence.

Don't trivialize serious things by poor comparisons.

• Simon
    Simon
    I recall this forum allowing links to PDF copies of CofC and ISOCF just after Ray died. In fact it was a bookmarked topic and enthusiastically promoted as a good thing Were these legit?

No, and they were removed when we noticed them (the links that is, we have never distributed the PDFs) - there is another recent topic somewhere with a reply from Ray himself about the unauthorized copying.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

As I remember, there were links to the Commentary Press website where you could legally purchase a downloadable PDF which required a password to open.

Completely legit.

• boyzone
    boyzone

I definately remember the pdfs being promoted as a good thing here because I bought one, the ISOCF file for my e-reader after following a link from here.

I think it cost $12. Did ray's site ever sell the PDFs - anyone recall?

• boyzone
    boyzone
    Thanks oubliette, that's probably what I remember
  • Simon
    Simon
    I definitely remember the pdfs being promoted as a good thing here because I bought one, the ISOCF file for my e-reader after following a link from here. I think it cost $12. Did ray's site ever sell the PDFs - anyone recall?

Just to be clear so no one get's the wrong impression (given the current climate) - we promoted legitimate purchases of Ray's books (as well as others) without any compensation and have never sold anything on this site.

I remember doing banner ads for Freeminds book-store too - I don't know if they still distribute books.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    The hypocritical hypocrisy is making me thirsty.
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Orphan crow,

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. The shame lies with the person doing this with Cynthia alive while she needed some of it to actually live off of, and it was her husbands work. They "paid" more than any publisher or advocate to write that book. Its a meaningful book, and should be made available to all at very little cost. But it should not be pirated.

I don't know who the original is. I don't know if we are both out of the loop, or if that is something not really known.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    problemaddict2: I don't know if we are both out of the loop, or if that is something not really known.

Yeah. I guess it is you and me trying to look behind the curtain instead of at those pointing fingers at each other. The blame for this fiasco is largely the responsibilty of the one(s) who were offering the book behind both Ray's and Cynthia's back. And now, Deborah is trying to correct that wrong.

I find a certain irony in how Ray's authorship has created such controversy. Poor fellow - he emerged from an environment where all voice is taken away from individuals and given to a corporation. It was Knorr who eliminated "authorship" for the WTS writers. And now, Ray broke free and put his name on his voice and his voice is seen as belonging to anyone who decides it is in their best interest to do so. Putting name on voice is ownership - that rests with the individual as opposed to the corporation. Ray chose to own his voice and he also chose who it was that would caretake that ownership after he passed on.

And that is why I believe that plundering and using WTS material is, like others have said (Oubliette), an act of resistance to oppression by abusive power. Stealing Rays' voice cannot be compared to that act.

Deborah tries to protect and stand up for all the rights that go along with sticking your name on what you have to say. And the people who oppose the WTS for altering and changing their voice all the time are quibbling over Ray's book.

Ironic.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit