Is this life all there is?

by Fisherman 56 Replies latest jw friends

• deegee
    deegee

knowsnothing1,

I resumed our discussion about your "demon possession" experience in this thread:

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/6318622471356416/spirit-channeling-wallkills-bethel?page=7

but I will restate my comment here:

Your sharing your personal experience of "demon possession" made me see why you were quick to read into my comments that I engaged in spiritism or used a Ouija board (though I subsequently learnt that doing these things have nothing to do with the psychic symptoms which I experienced).

After such an experience and finding relief by turning to God, it is understandable why your mind would interpret everything in terms of the "if it is not God then it must be demons" framework/worldview.

There are some things which I find puzzling about "demon possession" however:

God will protect you from demons but he can't protect people in other situations for example, a tree falling on someone and killing them, a fatal lightening strike, someone goes for a swim and unknown to them, inhales some water with a brain eating amoeba, someone goes to wash their hands in a lake when a crocodile/alligator unexpectedly pounces on them, drags them in and kills them etc. etc. etc.

It seems it is more important for God to protect people from demon possession than from these more fatal situations.

Also, some claim that demons don't possess the mentally ill.

Why would the demons be so selective and kind to spare a mentally ill person? It seems the mentally ill/psychologically disturbed have the best defence against demon possession. God gets a break - he doesn't have to worry about protecting such persons from demon possession?

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

I don't see a demon behind every tree.

I see a demon behind almost every tree.

• new boy
    new boy

"Not one person has returned from the dead. Enough people have lived and died, you would have thought one of them might show some proof?"

Not true there are many people who have died and have return after the were clinically dead. There are dozens of books about their experiences. They all say the same thing and it's this "That is life is not all there is!"

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

new boy2 hours ago2 hours ago2 hours ago"Not one person has returned from the dead. Enough people have lived and died, you would have thought one of them might show some proof?"
    Not true there are many people who have died and have return after the were clinically dead. There are dozens of books about their experiences. They all say the same thing and it's this "That is life is not all there is!"

And as we all know when you are dying synapses in the brain are going mental with electrical signals in dramatic rises...which explains any "experience".

This is common knowledge.

• Sabendar
    Sabendar

Life is to epic and amazing to be a one and done. There's more. What, when, why and how, I don't know and can only guess, but I have a suspicion this life isn't all there is...

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

This life is all there is. Yes there is no afterlife. If you wish to make the best of this life, your truly mortal life (one without the prospect of future immortality whether in heaven, hell, or elsewhere), then accept scientific naturalism and live your life accordingly with such knowledge.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think it is likely that there is more than this life, but, of course, I’m not sure, and what more there may be, may be something we have no conception or ability to anticipate. I find the idealism of Bernardo Kastrup persuasive at the moment. I find it makes more sense than a materialistic conception of reality which has no explanation for how consciousness could arise from matter. Ultimately we are all in the hands of God as regards whatever future we may have or not have.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit