Is this life all there is?

by Fisherman 56 Replies latest jw friends

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

According to the Bible at least a couple of humans have been resurrected to life from death and apart from the fact that the Bible says the wages of sin is death then these resurrected ones would be deemed sinless therefore they should not have died again, however apparently they did.

In any case none of these resurrected ones ever had anything to say about their experience or non experiences while in the death state.

Here I might take exception to what Jesus said, words to the effect that when your dead is if you are asleep and know nothing , well I don`t know about Jesus when he`s asleep ,but when I`m asleep I have another life.

I dream, sometimes they are amazing and can be quite bazaar but I am alive and doing things and inter-acting with other people in my dreams { wet dreams can be most pleasant }

So to answer the OP I guess I`ll know or won`t know when I kick the bucket.

• Confusedalot
    Confusedalot

My flesh says there is no future after death. My spirit says there is an eternity in union with God waiting for us.

And yes; I think both are true at the same time.

It is not cognitive dissonance, but a realization that there are two realities that are not connected, except for Gods spirit crossing over and trying to rescue us from the finite one.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    What do you sincerely think?

there is nothing more than we have now. Una nox dormienda.

Do you nurture any hope?

Not really.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Interesting thread, nice to see so many different POVs..

• sparky1
    sparky1

I hope that there is something beyond this life, but I am not going to waste the life I have now hoping to 'earn' a chance to find out.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I was raised up as a Protestant. Had muddled up thinking's about heaven and hell and eternal life.

Became a JW and was in for 11 years. Things seemed to get clarified but I always had doubts about God, heaven, eternal life and so on....

Quit JW. Researched a lot about Bible and other religions and found everything to be Bunk.

Evolution is the only thing that makes sense to me now. Living things are born and they die.

Closely watching nature would nail the fact that once a creature dies, that is the end of it, for it. Gone for eternity.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Sadly yes this is it.

In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.
    - Carl Sagan

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Faith is belief in things for which there is no evidence. It is not a way to discover truth. I have no faith.

Well faith can be for things for which there is evidence. For example I have faith that I will receive my next paycheck. I have evidence that strongly suggests I will.

Now, faith in fairytales? Or in some sky man that ignores dying children because he is too concern what people do in bed? Nahh, not that type of faith.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

I believe what Jesus said in his word. Do I have proof? I have personal proof that probably won't mean much to another person. I believe God pursued me and I am so grateful he did! I am all in with Jesus and if it proves not to be true, it won't matter because life with Jesus has been abundant and he restored all that was lost. And I feel loved and accepted.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

All available evidence would suggest that this life is all there is.

I would definitely urge each and every person to get the most out of this life, to live it as if it's the only one they will ever have. This is what I should do, too.

But I also try to be open-minded ... so I entertain the idea that there is more than this current life I'm living ... some proper evidence supporting that would be nice, though, and is a perfectly reasonable thing for me to ask.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit