America: North America - The Difference: BRITS READ UP!

by RAYZORBLADE 70 Replies latest jw friends

• Aztec
    Aztec

Heyfea, I've lived in the US for 30 years. I only moved up to Canada a few weeks ago. I'm not even sure if I'm staying. The US isn't the only melting pot. Come up to Toronto some time! There are large amounts of ethnic groups up here. It's so cool! I don't believe most people in the US are that obnoxious. Some are but, not most. Only the ignorant ones think/act that way. That's a very self-absorbed world view.

I like the US and I liked living there. I'm happy that I was born into a very free society. I think I'm damn lucky. However, many people in many other countries feel the same way that I do.

As far as thinking other countries worship the US and it's way of life? Puhleeze!

~Aztec

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Isn't a Canadian just an American without a gun?

another myth.. all Americans do not carry guns! the only guns I have ever seen in my life were when male friends went out for deer during hunting season. I've never personally even seen a hand gun.

Also, I assure you, the majority of the US born, do not give a crap about European countries, much less about the rest of their own American neighbors, from Canada all the way down to Argentina. We make fun or belittle every other country in the world. Yet, ironically, most of the rest of the world, worship Americans and everything American.

I find the above statement offensive. I have friends in countries all over the world and I surely do give a CRAP about other counties..

That statement does NOT count for any more than the person who wrote it..

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Actually, there's a history for citizens of the USA being called "Americans"

In the 1700's, when the USA was a new country, there were no other countries in the American supercontinent. When people were referring to "America", they meant the USA. It continued even until other new American republics were popping up, like Mexico and Hati, because of convienence. What would you call somebody from a country named after a concept rather than a land or a phrase? It would sound rather silly. It would be like calling somebody from the UK "United Kingdomian" rather than "British".

OH, and BTW, the British are also as guilty as the Americans United Statians for lumping people from unrelated countries together. Have you seen the website for the BBC? It has a separate section for news from India, Southeast Asia, and Arabia, but it has the American Supercontinent lumped together. Since when did somebody from Argentina ever give a care about news coming from Maine?

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

As for not giving a crap about other countries, I don't give a crap about this one and I'm only cheering our country on because we're fighting a religous cult that wants to interrupt me not giving a crap about other countries.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Czar:So what does the guy in the outhouse think a Wank is?

ColdRed:
    We normally lump things by continent, here, excepting Russia and the Middle East which often gets a mention in it's own right.
    I've never heard of Argentina getting muddled with Maine.
    We kicked Argentina's ass in the early 80's, over a little lump of rock that came complete with several acres of snowy real estate in the Southernmost continent
    We never talk about Maine...

• heyfea
    heyfea

Sassy,

If you don't fit the description I presented, then you shouldn't be offended at all. I was not talking about you. What's the matter with everyone here? Didn't anyone understand what I ment? Geez

Can anyone from the other end of the woods see what I mean? Has anyone from the rest of the continent ever been the victim of a derrogatory comment or action?

Aztec, I'm just curious, why you chose the name "Aztec"?

• Aztec
    Aztec

Heyfea, I chose the name Aztec after one of my favorite novels; "Aztec" by Gary Jennings.

I'm curious by what you actually meant by your statement. I think everyone has dealt with some discrimination at some point. If you care to clarify I'm ready to listen.

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool
    Has anyone from the rest of the continent ever been the victim of a derrogatory comment or action?

When I was in Europe some years back I received a number of derrogatory comments and poor service in restaurants and bars - that is, until I explained that I was from CANADA. Then the comments would cease and service would improve substantially.

They did not appear to "worship Americans and everything American."

Walter

• heyfea
    heyfea

Aztec,

(I'm at work, so it's kind of difficult to put down my thoughts without interrumptions...sorry if I take some time).

What I ment is that if not most, but certainly not some either, maybe somewhere in between, Americans forget the rest of this continent, except for Canada. For instance, now we are fingerprinting and photographing visitors without a visa. Fine, it makes sense to me. But it's not universal. Only Europe and if I'm not mistaken also Canada are excluded from this procedure. What about the rest of the countries in Central and South America?Ok, some may have drug dealing or communist ideas, wherehaveyou.....but why not pick and choose. Do you see what I mean. I mean, they are our neighbors.

What do you think?

• Aztec
    Aztec

Hmmm, what do I think? I think all visitors from any nation should be as thoroughly questioned as I am when I enter Canada. I'm not sure about the fingerprinting and photographing. That seems a bit excessive. Just because someone is from a neighboring country doesn't make them impotent. The US has a lot of enemies from every part of the globe. As far as Communist ideas you have only to look at Canada for that. J/K! The US has plenty of Communists as well. What's the problem with that? Nothing in my opinion. It takes all types to make this lovely planet what it is. Drug dealing is only a problem because the US government hasn't decriminalized non-prescription drugs...yet!

Okay there are far too many points to make in one little post so I'll just end it there.

I'm still curious by what you meant when you said the rest of the world worships the US and everything American.

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit