Making 607 crumble

by ellderwho 125 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Earnest
    Earnest
    The arrogance of writing the academic credentials after a signature when a letter or posted materials are not of professional quality makes those credentials look foolish. - Faraon, 18-Jan-04 16:24 GMT

Agreed.

His scholarship, as he is the one who constantly alludes to it ( even having the on-line handle ?Scholar? ) is part of the strategy he uses to defend WTS chronology and as such is fair game in an on-line debate. - hillary_step, 18-Jan-04 16:56 GMT

Agreed. And I do wonder just who "scholar" thinks will be impressed with academic credentials. As has been previously noted, it simply gives an impression of arrogance and insecurity. A year ago "scholar" spoke of being new to computer use so doubtless time will see improvement in many respects.

The simple reason why I do not elaborate in detail all that could be said is simply that I am rather new to computer use and do not enjoy at this stage the abilities in making impressive posts as others do. - scholar, So, where DID the 1914 timeline go awry? thread, 16-Jan-03 06:23 GMT
    Earnest
  • AlanF
    AlanF

Excellent comments, Faraon! You nailed "scholar's" hypocrisy. This hypocrisy is endemic to Jehovah's Witnesses.

A good example of this hypocrisy is "scholar's" hollering about lack of credentials on the part of Ray Franz. First, Ray didn't pretend to write a scholarly work in the academic sense. Hundreds of thousands of excellent books are written by people with little or no formal training, and hypocrites like "scholar" know this, so their protestations are mere transparent attempts to "argue from authority". Second, the greatest Watchtower scholar of them all, Fred Franz, had no scholarly credentials. He was completely self-taught in Biblical Hebrew and Greek, yet produced a surprisingly workable (although biased) bible translation. When confronted with this fact, JWs like "scholar" pull back and talk about judging a work by its competence, not by the credentials of its author. "Scholar" has praised the New World Translation to the hilt, terming it virtually inspired or something like that. The double-standards of these people are astounding, since they know perfectly well that the Watchtower Society itself constantly beats the drum about God and "God's organization" not having such.

AlanF

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

marked

• Londo111
    Londo111

Thanks for unearthing this ancient thread.

For JWs just looking into this matter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue4HRZz0pLM

For more info, see: www.jwlove.org/607bc

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Thanks for the laughs..

Scholar, what tool.

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

scholar sounds like fun. we need more of those users around....

MMM

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit