Does Death & Aging Frighten You?

by Guest 77 53 Replies latest jw friends

• alias
    alias

Death doesn't too much. I just hope it happens peacefully. And I hope it happens before aging interferes with life.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Why is it Razor>>>>???? you always help me out when I put my foot in my mouth?? thanks for putting what I was trying to say in a nicer tone & for loving me...

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

(((Mouthy))) - you didn't put your foot in your mouth at all.

You responded; in my opinion, so humbly and with so much love, like you always do. I'm sure you made Homey-Forty think about a 'better future'.

We love you here Mouthy.

Believers/Unbelievers: we LOVE you, like you LOVE us: unconditionally.

Big Hug,
    Rayzorblade

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    the judgment about death is that it is dreadful, that is what is dreadful - Epicetus

I found this quote on a webpage that had a brief essay about Stoic philosophy. The Stoics were a logical folk who thought it absurd to experience any distress over things that were beyond one's control.

I am trying to take on a more stoical attitude about matters such as death, my past, and the state of the world. There is so much that is beyond my control. But it is not easy to surrender to the idea that I am a limited mortal creature. I don't know what it is that makes this so difficult, perhaps a tendency towards narcissism, of feeling more special or more deserving than other mortals.

JWism made life seem controllable, that if you just do everything as proscribed by the WTS then everything is going to be fine and you won't experience the pain and finality of death. This has been the source of so much of the mental anguish I've experienced since leaving the borg (the timing of which coincided with the 9/11 attacks, so I don't know how much weight to assign either event) - the realization that I am so much more at the mercy of events beyond my control than I would have ever thought as a JW, and that I will die. It is not possible for me to know my future.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Right on Dan, when circumstances are beyond our control, were at the mercy of the elements.

Solomon's words are encouraging, "Look! The best thing that I myself have seen, which is pretty, is that one should eat and drink and see good for all his hard work with which he works hard under the sun for the number of days of his life that the true God has given him, for that is his portion...For not often will he remember the days of his life, because the the true God is preoccuping him with the rejoicing of his heart." Prov. 5:18-20. " Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need..."

Guest 77

• Special K
    Special K

Dying prematurely is a concern.. my kids are toooo young to have either one of their parents die yet.

When I first left the J.W.'s dying bothered me alot, because I had never lived with the thought of it.

After 10 years now I accept it as a natural cycle in all things.

AGEing? Hell.. who wants to look old.. nobody that I know of.

Sharon Osborne tells her secret to stop aging. $350,000.00 dollars worth of tummy tucks, face lifts..etc.(the works).. and although I hate the Osborne show.. she looks marvelous.

If I could be a rich b*tch, when I get older, I'd pay the bucks..

sincerely honest

Special K

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

The only thing that bothers me about aging is that the body doesn't work as well as when you are young, energywise and recovery from illness, etc., but I love the silver highlights in my hair and the wisdom and knowledge that being almost 50 has given me, and all the experiences I have gained. Death doesn't frighten me, it saddens me when I lose someone close, but, that is only because you miss them in your life. I believe at death my spirit/soul will leave and be fine, the body will be left to decay and break back down into life's basic elements to be part of the cycle of this world. It's a natural thing...........

Terri

• Tatiana
    Tatiana
    the body will be left to decay and break back down into life's basic elements to be part of the cycle of this world. It's a natural thing...........

Terri...I don't believe it's natural. That's what pisses me off so much. (Although what's the point, really, huh?)

When my 12 year old son cries because I can't answer his question about dying, I get angry. He's very sensitive, and says he hates Adam and Eve. I don't know why he thinks about this a lot. When I ask, he just says he doesn't want to get old and die. And it's not fair. What do I tell him?

Everone dies, son.

But WHY, mom?

I have no freakin' clue, son.

Then who does, mom?

No one does, son.

Why does God want us to die, mom?

I don't know, son.

Why didn't he kill the devil and give Adam and Eve another chance?

I don't know, son.

And on this goes until he cries, and I hug him, and tell the lie that he has a looonnnggg time to live, and should not dwell on dying, and should live to the fullest and not waste time worrying.

And then he says..."But, mom..YOU will die and I'll miss you. I don't want you to be in the ground."

Then I cry.....

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Terri...thanks for the PM. I have studied "other" beliefs also. I haven't found anything else to believe in. Maybe one day I will. Maybe AFTER I'm dead, I'll find out the real truth!!!!

• ChimChim
    ChimChim

Im not scared of either death or aging, because I just think its life. I might get more scared when i get older because I am still young. but death most of all doesnt scare me. When its my time to go I guess im willing. well not right now maybe when im wrinkly and cant walk any more but for now I'm fearless of both.

C.C

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit