Does Death & Aging Frighten You?

by Guest 77 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Yeah, just what are YOUR thoughts. Does death and aging frighten you? Why your answer?

Guest 77

• foreword
    foreword

Death, i don't know yet...

but aging sure scares the hell out of me when i look in the mirror....

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Good question, but no death doesn't scare me.

But, that being said, I hope I don't die 'before my time' (tragically) etc., because there are some things I would still like to do.

Aging? I have to admit, I do enjoy growing older.

Life just gets better, so aging is fine. I just hope I look as 'cute' as I do now, 10-20 years from now.

Foreward: sending you a PM (check your inbox).

• SM62
    SM62

I hate the thought of growing old and feeble, unable to fend for myself. But I also don't want to die. I have so many thoughts and dreams and ideas and ambitions, and when I die, they will die too. I also hate the thought of being covered with tons of earth - I know I will be dead so won't feel it but it gives me the creeps all the same. I suppose it all boils down to the unknown - if we knew what happens to us when we die, I guess many of us wouldn't fear it so much. What I'm trying to say is that there isn't enough time to fit in all the things I want to do-even if I live to be 100. I look at my mum - she is so weak physically, but boy - is she on the ball mentally! Her body lets her down big time - her hands are weak and shaky and her eyesight and hearing are going, she can hardly walk now and takes ages just to walk from one end of the room to the other - it breaks my heart to watch her. It is frustrating to be weak, unable to do all the things you used to do, especially if you still have a very active mind. Life is really cruel and death stinks!

just my thoughts - Terri

• smurfy
    smurfy

I just had a birthday yesterday so I can tell you that aging definately scares me! The fact that someday I might have to depend on someone else to take care of me totally scares me. The thing about death that scares me is the not knowing. I don't know how exactly to explain it. I just want to know that I will have done everything I wanted and more, and that everyone one of my family and friends knows that I love them and appreciate them when my time comes.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

I'm with you RB on aging. I don't mind it. As to death, well, I've welcomed death many times. The reason why people fear death is that their going to miss themselves. Of course that's just my thoughts on the subject.

SM62, yeah that is sad and tragic, isn't it? My mom is very active and nearing 90. She keeps busy. My community has had a rash of deaths lately, not uncommon. That's not the reason for this post. Ive been meaning to ask this question some time ago.

Thanks for your thoughts. Keep em coming.

Guest 77

• mouthy
    mouthy

Do I fear death??? NO!! I look forward to it. Aging??? well thats another answer I am old. It isnt what they said it was >>>GOLDEN!!!!! they are rusty..SM62 puts it very well. It is rotton when you cant do all you used to..I could move ALL my furniture around 10 years ago!!No help-NOW?? Just to carry in my groceries makes me exhausted... Being covered with earth isnt anything I will experience I am going to be cremated... Ashes!!!!I have paid for it all bought my plot of land at the cemetary next to my Mell, Alan. Frank ( hubby)-picked out my coffin, stone, written how I want to be laid out- ( glasses on glasses off) etc: What songs I want sang at the funeral... But I guess the powers that be said ---- Leave her till last!!!!Shes trouble!!!! Drats!!!!!!!

• SM62
    SM62
    The reason why people fear death is that their going to miss themselves

Spot on, Guest! I will miss myself. I have so much to do and see and experience. And even if I live to be 80/90, I won't be able to do much once my body starts deteriorating - so the average human who lives to be 80 only has around 50 years to really do anything they want to - that's is not long enough - I want to go on forever. As a JW, I thought I would. Now I know that I was lied to, I don't know what to expect.

As to death, well, I've welcomed death many times

Why? Why would anyone welcome death? I can understand it if you were sick or in pain (physically, emotionally or mentally), and death was the only way out of your misery. But if not, what other reason can there be? - I'm just curious. I hear many people say that they look forward to dying - and these are people that have health, wealth and all the rest.

Terri

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I look at it this way, why should I be frightened about something that is totally unavoidable. Nobody stays young or lives forever. No matter how hard they try.

• mouthy
    mouthy

SM62 >>> my answer to you is.... First I have pain every day from Rheamatoid Arthritis.Diabetus!Restricted esophagus...My family has all gone ! in death! or to the Wt...I am a VERY independant person... I have been a nurse in an old peoples home & I DONT want to be like them, I dont relish anyone wiping my bum! or bathing me... I DO BELIVE with every ounce in my body... That this is just a stepping stone ( earthly life) to a better place- I do believe there will be no pain, no tears, no heart ache in the next life..... ( Ok. I AM ducking from the stones & that is cruel to chuck stones cos it hurts to bend)))YOU ASKED I ANSWERED

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit