Does Death & Aging Frighten You?

by Guest 77 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    Why? Why would anyone welcome death? I can understand it if you were sick or in pain (physically, emotionally or mentally), and death was the only way out of your misery. But if not, what other reason can there be? - I'm just curious. I hear many people say that they look forward to dying - and these are people that have health, wealth and all the rest.

To go onto the Afterlife. Many believe that that when you die, your soul goes to a better place, like Heaven. Others believe in reincarnation.

The point is many believe that after you pass on you start a new existance in another form, be it physical or spiritual.

Heatmiser

• Sassy
    Sassy

Well I have a healthy recognition of aging and death now, that I don't think I'll live forever on earth. Not sure exactly if it is fear though. I just feel like there is only precious time in the here and now, since I don't know what happens after we die.. To die itself does not scare me. It never has. Aging, I refuse to recognise.

• JH
    JH

The JW's taught us that we wouldn't die of old age, because the end was so close. But now seeing the years go by so fast, and the prophesies failing, it bothers me to see myself get old and slowly dying. Somewhere in the bible it's written that animals are different from men because men look towards the future and see death as something not normal.

I still believe in a resurrection, so this makes it a little easier.

• Heatmiser
    Heatmiser
    I still believe in a resurrection, so this makes it a little easier.

Good point JH. I don't know how I forgot resurrection in my earlier post.

Heatmiser

• SM62
    SM62
    That this is just a stepping stone ( earthly life) to a better place- I do believe there will be no pain, no tears, no heart ache in the next life

Mouthy,

This sounds so fantastic and is what I always wanted to happen. I wish I had your faith. I really want to believe this, but faith escapes me. I have started to wonder whether there is something wrong with me deep down. I never really believed in anything I was taught as a Catholic, and as a JW, I was really not 'in' like some were - I was always on the fringes. I do read a lot and try to find answers, but I get nowhere. I would love to know that this life is just the beginning, but where do you get such faith from? I am not disputing it - as far as I am concerned, you probably have what I haven't got, but how do I get it too. I have tried religion but just feel numb from it all. Sorry to ramble so much.

Terri

• morty
    morty

Well, death is not something I think about On a regular bases, but I do not want to go at a young age...ie..accident or something...As far as getting old, I am just worried about loosing my teeeth, thats all, oh,and my back pain....it is bad now, so I hope it is fixed soon.....I sometimes fell like I am 90 years old already with my back, so I can just imagine what it will be like in 20 years...So besides loseing my teeth I guess it is also pain I am afraid of....

Morty

• Xena
    Xena

Death doesn't frighten me. The only thing about death that bothers me is the pain the people I love will feel when I am gone.

Aging? Both my parents died at the respective ages of 63 and 70. I hope to go like my dad with a heart attack in my sleep. If I get colon cancer like my mom did I will commit suicide, I refuse to suffer like she did. That said I doubt I will live long enough to worry about aging all that much.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

mouthy, I wish also that I had your faith. I wish ghosts existed. I wish we all came back as what we wanted to be. I wish there was an afterlife and a place called heaven that had streets paved with gold and no worries. I wish vampires were real.

Alas, I just believe that it's all a dirty, evil trick played on us. By whom? I have no idea. On the one hand, if God is real, what a rotten thing to do to his children. I'd rather just go insane and THEN have my body wear out and fall apart. At least you won't realize what's happening. But to have just a taste of all that life has to offer, and then have it all ripped from you, is cruel.

My grandmother was in a nursing home and couldn't even feed herself. But, her mind was so sharp and clear. I cried each time I saw her. She told me she wished she had alzheimers so she would just be in a fantasy world.

And if there is no God, why do we grow old and die? Who did this to us? It's not natural. If it was, we wouldn't hate it so much. And try like hell to stay younger longer. I hate aging. I hate the thought of NON-existence.

What if this IS all there is?

• U.2.K. Tha Greate$t
    U.2.K. Tha Greate$t

Well im not dying and neither am i getting old. wanna know a secret? sorry gotta read the bible to find out! and btw i never think about death, serious it's never on my mind. like i said before im just sitting back waiting for the end. What Jesus say: Where is your faith? faith brings many things to those who want it bad enough. and that's all im saying.

• Enishi
    Enishi

The prospect of dying before my time does frighten me. Dying once I'm old and have lived a fulfilling life, however, does not. It's going to happen eventually, might as well accept it. Knowing that I'm going to get old, my body wrinkle up and lose its strength does depress me at times.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit