Sam Harris on Trump - The Most Powerful Clown

by cofty 103 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty
    Now you are beginning to sound like a JW when he/she is challenged - never a jw

To say that to an ex-JW is beneath contempt.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Trump may be a clown but we chose him and he is our clown for at least the next 4 years, we need to get used to it.

• never a jw
    never a jw

Cofty,

You are thin-skinned too, and just like Sam, resort to hyperbole, even though you and Sam more often than not come across as the most objective intellectuals. Your arguments are much better when you stay above the crowd.

Sam could have easily lead the audience to conclude that Trump is a jackass, a clown, an awful man and a liar, without saying it. That course of action is more elegant and persuasive. Instead he became like most other critics who preach to the choir and alienate the Trump supporters who are likely to withdraw their support.

Village Idiot,

Yes

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Good news: Trump is relying on Pence to do his job.

Bad news: Trump is relying on Pence to do his job.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I listened to the message but Sam Harris doesn't apologise, or indeed say anything about, the part he played in creating Trump. Nothing about his promotion of Islam as essentially evil, enthusiasm for racial profiling, or saying nuclear bombing Arabs would unpleasant but might be necessary. He said these things before Trump was a candidate. I doubt Trump is a fan, but Harris laid the intellectual groundwork and helped create the atmosphere that made Trump possible. Instead Harris is doubling down with the bizarre claim that "safe spaces" and liberal tolerance of religious freedom are the real culprits.

To be clear the remedy for Trumpian fascism is no compromise in asserting equality for all regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality and whatever else. Unfortunately that's not a message, given his history, that Harris is able to deliver.

These things should be so obvious they don't need saying. Between maniacs like Trump and intellectual charlatans like Harris, our culture has lost its way. This situation is deeply depressing.

• never a jw
    never a jw

My comparing you to a JW has merit because you dismissed my evidence without a thoughtful response.

My premise all along is that Sam Harris in his podcast did not adhere to the objective analysis and decorum expected of intellectuals and scholars. I doubt he even attempted that.

Sam never proved that Donal Trump is a clown or a jackass, even metaphorically speaking. He, however, has a good chance of demonstrating that Trump is an unprincipled business man, a misogynist, a narcissist, a shallow, unlettered and uninformed person with no political savvy for public office, especially the presidency. But he is not a clown or a jackass. That's just plain loaded ad hominem,

Regarding Sam's implication that Trump is a pathological liar, doesn't pass the test. He may be an unprincipled man who lies as needed when he wants to advance his goals, but not a pathological liar..

An "awful person" is just a broad, vague and useless description that can not be subjected to any objective analysis. "awful" can only belong in the opinion category.

• cofty
    cofty
    You are thin-skinned too, and just like Sam - Never a JW

When it comes to absorbing insults for expressing unpopular opinions I am extremely robust. You seem to be resorting to the thing you falsely accused Sam Harris of. How ironic.

he is not a clown or a jackass

You clearly have not been paying attention. Trump is the very definition of incompetence and buffoonery .

• cofty
    cofty
    the remedy for Trumpian fascism is no compromise in asserting equality for all regardless of race, religion, gender, sexuality and whatever else - SBF

Sam Harris is outspokenly intolerant of intolerance.

The world needs more voices like Sam Harris, Ayan Hirsi Ali, Maajid Nawaz, Gad Saad, Jonathan Haidt, Jordan Peterson and Douglas Murray.

• never a jw
    never a jw

"beneath contempt".....pleeeeease

The big problem with JW's is that they have an undying and unreasonable loyalty to a cause. You too.

"Jackass", "clown", "pathological liar", "awful", is just emotional loaded language that deepens the division between the two camps. There's more effective and persuasive ways to describe Trump if you want to undermine his popularity.

• never a jw
    never a jw

The world needs more voices like Sam Harris, Ayan Hirsi...

Agree. Just tell Harris to unload his emotions before he records his podcasts. He is an intellectual for God's sake!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit