The wonder of scientific research

by amicabl 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Annon
    Annon
    I think that at its simplest science is just about trying to find out how things work, asking questions and seeing if the facts support what you believe or not. That seems a worthwhile endeavour. For example finding out a little bit how the brain works, so that someone with schizophrenia can be treated rather than being burned at the stake because people think the are possessed by demons seen like a bit of progress. There was a time when everybody walked by faith trusting everything religious leaders taught them without question, these times were called the dark ages.
  • jp1692
    jp1692

Amicabl, you really don't understand what science is and what it can and cannot do. Here is a useful working definition that might clarify some things in your mind:

"Science is a way of learning about what is in the natural world, how the natural world works, and how the natural world got to be the way it is. It is not simply a collection of facts; rather it is a path to understanding."

I suggest you educate yourself a little bit more so you can have an informed opinion. Here is a great website that can get you started:

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

If you want an informative and entertaining read on this subject read Ben Goldacre "Bad Science".

Here is a lovely quote from Ben

The questions after a lecture at an academic conference can often be a bloodbath, but in the best of spirits, because – like the more sadomasochistic sects in the catholic church – we know that our punishment is good for us, a necessary corrective.”

- Ben Goldacre, writing in the Guardian

• sparky1
    sparky1

Don't make the mistake of confusing 'pure' science with 'scientism'. Science is our friend because it helps us to understand the natural world. 'Scientism' is not always our friend because it tends to put unfounded trust in outcomes for things that can not really be deduced by the scientific method.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I'll just add my tuppence to the fray.

Unfortunately, scientific research requires money. And that's where entities like pharmaceutical companies, with not the best of reputations, come in. And of course companies and orgs with agendas like the tobacco growers association etc that fund research. But, that's why the scientific method is so essential...scientists can come along and falsify any dubious research or claims.

as Cofty said you need to use critical thinking to sift through the marketing, media attention grabs etc to get to the valuable research that is done using the best weapon man has against superstition and bias which is, for now, the scientific method.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000
    Maybe I am just ranting about nothing

Yes you are, because you contradicted yourself in your own post. You first say that "most scientific research is fake", then go on to admit that countless marvelous advancements have been made in science fields. How do you think that happens?

Just because a theory is posed, looking for funding for research, which ends up disproving that same theory, doesn't mean that scientific research if fake. It just means that scientific research is doing its job, which is to either confirm or disprove theories.

• Island Man
    Island Man
    "Most scientific research is fake".

You can't honestly believe that. You sound like Donald Trump. LOL.

• shepherdless
    shepherdless

Slidin fast quotes Ben Goldacres’s book, which is brilliant.

For a comical expose on the pseudoscience of the cosmetics industry, the following episode of “The Checkout” is very very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bicx6Txo2jE

• amicabl
    amicabl

It is after 5am on Friday morning here and I have had a full night of insomnia plus my picture disappeared so this new one is me with no sleep. This is my first topic of any real significance to me on any forum on the Internet. It has been an interesting experience receiving people's thoughts from around the world and I am going to enjoy ploughing through them after some sleep. If that sounds a little silly well that is too bad lol.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Science is at the forefront of pushing the boundaries of our understanding of our universe. Its tools are capable of almost infinitely extending the five human senses.

What was considered hidden or exotic science two hundred years ago is now commonplace fact. Building on proven reality, science represents one of the greatest achievements of humanity, it is driven by the irrepressible curiosity of the human mind.

One of its weaknesses is the fact that is sometimes performed by egocentric operators; some of whom claim credit for their students or other's work or attempt to massage results in favour of a breakthrough. Notwithstanding that human weakness sometimes impinges on scientific papers, the peer review usually catches out the few who are dishonest.

As democracy is the best for fairness in politics, so the scientific method of openness, testability and peer review is to the best method humans have devised to grasp the workings of the cosmos.

I suggest anyone should attempt to read science rather than sensational press messages. Although I read scientific things (I am no scientist) perhaps its not for everyone?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit