Thinking of becoming a JW - Need urgent honest advice!!!

by natalienu 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I have been thinking of studying to become one but am also having a hard time finding anything on the net that is positive about it. JW?s of course will just say it is because the truth and so many are against it.

This is a self-fulfilling prophecy that the Watchtower Society (WTS) creates.

Do a search and you will find that all religions have people for and people against them. However, the WTS has instructed it's followers to NOT post any websites on the internet about the religion. They say that all information about them should come from the official web site (www.watchtower.org).

Any Jehovahs Witness who is found to be posting information on the web will have congregational restrictions and other punishments (being "marked") imposed on them. The result of this is that there are very few pro-Jehovahs Witness web sites.

*** Kingdom Ministry 11/99 pp. 4-5 Use of the Internet?Be Alert to the Dangers! ***

Noticeably, there have been a number of individuals who have created Web sites ostensibly to preach the good news. Many of these sites are sponsored by indiscreet brothers. Other sites may be sponsored by apostates who wish to lure unsuspecting ones. (2 John 9-11) Commenting on whether there is a need for our brothers to create such Web sites, Our Kingdom Ministry, November 1997, page 3, stated: "There is no need for any individual to prepare Internet pages about Jehovah?s Witnesses, our activities, or our beliefs. Our official site [www.watchtower.org] presents accurate information for any who want it."

Translation: You are not to create JW related websites. If you do you are considered "indiscreet" and therefore subject to discipline and "marking".

Regarding the other issues of being a Jehovahs Witness. You have to remember... Jehovahs Witnesses are expected to put the Organization FIRST in their lives. All other things and people come a far second. If you ever decide to stop attending the meetings or going door-to-door or express opinions contrary to what the organization teaches, you WILL be punished and your relationship with your boyfriend/husband WILL become very difficult.

*** w93 8/1 p. 16 Let No One Spoil Your Useful Habits ***

How can we apply Paul?s warning about associations? He did not mean that we should decline to help someone in the congregation who was finding it hard to understand a Bible verse or teaching. Indeed, Jude 22, 23 urges us to give merciful help to sincere ones with such doubts. (James 5:19, 20) Paul?s fatherly counsel, however, should certainly come into play if someone keeps taking exception to what we know to be Bible truth or keeps making comments of a skeptical or negative nature. We should be on guard against association with that type of person. Of course, if someone became definitely apostate, the spiritual shepherds would have to act to protect the flock.?2 Timothy 2:16-18; Titus 3:10, 11.

*** w86 4/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***Approved association with Jehovah?s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah?s Witnesses

*** w87 2/1 p. 19 Doing Our Utmost to Declare the Good News ***

13 First of all, there is the matter of being obedient and ready to respond to encouragement. When direction and encouragement come from the proper source, it is only right that we should respond readily. Thus, rather than viewing these qualities as mere national traits, we keep in mind Jesus? words: "My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me." (John 10:27) We also remember that one feature of "the wisdom from above" is being "ready to obey." (James 3:17) These are qualities that all Christians are encouraged to put on. Due to background and upbringing, some may be more given to independent thinking and self-will than others. Perhaps this is an area where we need to discipline ourselves and ?make our mind over? so that we can perceive more clearly what the "will of God" is.?Romans 12:2.

They are willing to "encourage" you... but if you do not agree with them, they will punish you.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Run darlin Run.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome Natali. If you are deeply afraid of life and those around you, if thinking for yourself makes you uncomfortable, then b eing a Witness can give one a sense of security and joy. Some people find comfort in a highly controlled environment, where everything is laid out for them by others. Some people find a certain masochistic solace in believing in a god that will kill you and your young children if you fail to love and honor him enough. If you feel this way, then becoming a Witnesses will be a glorious day for you. Thinking for yourself and finding your own way with all the bumps and bruises that entails, is not for everyone. Some enjoy the freedom of self-expression and discovery; others enjoy prison and cuddle against the softness of a padded cell. Look into your heart and be very clear on how free or how controlled you want your life to be. Then go in the direction that makes you happiest. j

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

EW. What's their definition of "encourage' or encouragement? What examples do they have? Do they encourage their flock to keep 'testing ' whether their in the faith (2Cor.13:5) or how about '...always read to make a defense before EVERYONE (including apostates) that demands of YOU a reason for the hope in YOU, but doing so together with a mild temper and deep respect." 1 Peter 3:15 What mild temper and deep respect do they have for others that don't subscribe to their way of thinking?

You gotta retort back with their own written publications and Bible texts. Paul said, "Do not go beyond the things that are written," Why have they overstepped the commandment of God by making and publishing dates about the end when Jesus said, "Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angles of the heavens nor the son, but only the father?" Matt.24:36

We know the 'spin' they have used and its catching up with them. Yeah encouragement. When have you ever seen them apply James 1:27 about the 'orphans' and 'widows'?

Guest 77

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Perhaps the most important reason of all why you should stay away from the JW religion is for the sake of your (as yet unborn) children.

If you do enter into a relationship with this man and consummate the marriage, producing offspring, you put your children at risk of being stalked and molested by pedophiles, with no recourse to stop it because of the Watchtower's obtuse "two witnesses" rule.

For the sake of any children you may have in the future, please don't join.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have not read any of the replys to your Question... But I read your thread & felt I had to ugently reply-I will read the rest after I have had my lunch .
    First let me tell you I was a JW for 20+...I am 76... I believed with ALL my heart this was the truth. So much so that I made 10 other folk JWs.... Today I am ashamed that I did that. Yes I am sure the fellow is a lovely fellow- Because truthfully I dont know any JWs that are not...... BUT!!!!! that is what we were trained to act like----UNTIL we caught you... Yes! he may marry you! sex outside of marriage is a real No-No.... But I have others in my group who married JWs & there life is pure HELL...... You say that you have no religion. -well I believe religion is wrong....But if I was you!!!!! I would start to pray to the creator of the heaven & earth..... Because you NEED guidance..... DONT !!!! whatever you do become a JW...... I love them ALL.....But it is MIND CONTROL. ------- Please read more against the WT.......if you want to. send me you address I will send you a free book "A Jehovahs Witness Finds the Truth" by a 3rd Generation JW.....Now I am going to worry about you!!!! But pray I will.

Grace Gough

• Sassy
    Sassy

If you have read any of the posts on this discussion board here natalienu, you would see that it is a minority (if not nearly non existant) on this site to believe in the JWs. Most of us have been scarred, shunned, tormented by this religion. And becoming a JW is not like joining a book club and if you get bored with it, you can quit without repurcussions....

If you get baptised and later want to leave, you will be shunned and treated lower than scum by the members...

but if you stay in, your life will never be your own. Your whole life will be dictated by this religion.

• bisous
    bisous

No love from a man (or woman) is worth the sacrifices you will be expected to make. You'll be treated warmly and kindly at first until you are baptised. The demands will grow and grow, including the direction to subvert yourself and your needs to the organization, and of course the Head of your household, the husband. The likelihood over the years is you will be disillusioned, because you selected the religion because of him and the love you felt. Most likely that love will change to something sad and ugly. What you'll have left are scars and pain.

A spiritual choice should be just that, not a choice to capture and keep the love and attention of a mate. There are plenty of guys out there who will love you for you and not place a demand upon you like this.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Plus you'll have to carry extra towels in your purse when you attend assemblies since they enforce the One-Towel Rule.

***** Rub a Dub

• one_ugly_time
    one_ugly_time

natalienu --

Pick Me. Pick Me. Seriously, I'm not too, too bad. Just read my history here.

In addition to what I've posted here, I am kind, considerate, gentle, compassionate, romantic, and have learned to express myself in poetry and journaling instead of yelling and screaming. I don't argue with my teenage children. I am interested in computers, poetry, photography, seashore walks, and music. I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week and spend lots of time with my children. I would love to go skiing again, antiquing, and counrty drives, but all of these activities are more enjoyable with a compatible member of the opposite sex.

Take my advice. Pick Me. You can pretend to be an exJW and save years of heartache, counseling, and soul-searching.

You have a difficult decision to make, but you are very wise to try to understand someones background before investing your life. I would recommend a 6 week break from the relationship while you do your investigating and letting your emotions stablize. Find out a few pertaintent FACTS such as :: How long has he been in? His family? What do the relationships with other members of his family feel like? Does he have a disposition for depression (the 6 week break will tell you this)? What about all the in-laws? Can you talk to close and distant relatives to find out the patterns of abuse that run in the family? What is the educational status (not the dream, or the ideal, but reality) of this individual and do you feel comfortable plateu'ing your life goals at the current level. What growth has this individual invested in during the past 5 years? This list goes on and on.

I am certain, if you are contemplating marriage, that you have thought of most if not all of these questions. Please take your time. If you decide to move forward with this relationship, I have no doubt that your experience will be --

one_(very)_ugly_time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit