Cite one scripture in the N.T. that chargers Christians to be witnesses of / for Jehovah.....Not one.using K.I ./ WTB&TS

by smiddy3 99 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

johnamos, can you remind me where Jesus actually uses the word "jehovah" (or equivalent proper name) in something he says.

• johnamos
    johnamos

Matt 4:4,7, 10 to start with and other places where he quoted from the Hebrew Scriptures.

I know the argument that the oldest Greek copies on hand do not have the DN written in those places, but just as you can tell me that I can't say for certain that the originals and those that followed up until the oldest now on hand did have the DN there, I can tell you that you can't say for certain that it was not there.

But I can add reasoning to support that it was there, whereas those that argue it wasn't there cannot support their argument that it was not.

https://e-watchman.com/insert-jehovah-nt/

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Are you sure you want to use E-Watchman as your source?

Robert King Really Is Donald Burney

It’s official. Lowly kingdom publish, Robert King, that ‘slightly disheveled-looking brother sitting at the back of the kingdom hall—you know, the one who makes the occasional, not-in-the-paragraph-comment during the meetings’ is a ‘true watchman of Jehovah’, even a prophet. Within his latest mailblog (http://e-jehovahs-witnesses-mail.blogspot.com/) you will find along with many other claims these quotes by Mr. King:

“My work is all about speaking out; declaring Jehovah's future judgments--as contained in Scripture. By definition that makes me a prophet.”

“…the prophecy confirms that even though his message is not received well because of animosity in the house of God--Jehovah's watchman is true.”

In so making such claims, it has become apparent that Robert King really is Donald Burney.

No, not literally. Not to my knowledge. It has been reported that Mr. Burney claims to be the prophet Elijah, one of the two witnesses, and the Messiah, sent to declare the wrongdoings of God’s wayward people, Jehovah’s Witnesses. And so Robert King, aka E-Watchman, has become just another Donald Burney in this regard, a self-appointed, self-proclaimed ‘prophet’ of Jehovah.

http://thetruthaboutthetruthaboutthetruth.blogspot.com/2005/09/robert-king-really-is-donald-burney.html

E-Watchman says from your link:

Jehovah’s Witnesses are, therefore, fully justified in inserting the name of Jehovah into texts that are direct quotations from the Hebrew where the name appears, and in other texts where the context warrants it.

Yet, the scriptures tell us differently:

Deuteronomy 4:2 New International Version (NIV)

2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you.

Revelation 22:18-19 New International Version (NIV)

18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this scroll: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to that person the plagues described in this scroll. 19 And if anyone takes words away from this scroll of prophecy, God will take away from that person any share in the tree of life and in the Holy City, which are described in this scroll.

If Jehovah's Witnesses are going to "insert" a word into the scriptures, then why didn't they insert the word they claim is more accurate?

Have you read the introductory material in the Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures published by the Watchtower Society? On page 23 of the 1969 edition, it says: "While inclining to view the pronunciation 'Yahweh' as the more correct way, we have retained the form 'Jehovah' because of people's familiarity with it since the 14th century."

Here the Watchtower is saying they want to practice "what is familiar" with people, and not what is more "accurate"!

If your going to base your information on the reputation of man claiming to be Jehovah's Prophet, then your on your own!

Atlantis!
  • blondie
    blondie

I should have added a qualifier, where Jesus used the name Jehovah or equivalent outside of the scriptures he quoted.

• LV101
    LV101

johnamos, blondie/Atlantis -- sorry but what does the DN stand for in johnamos post -- not Daniel as it makes no sense. Thanks.

• naja
    naja

... sorry but what does the DN stand for in johnamos post?

I guess Divine Name

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

It's too bad that the God of the Bible is not powerful enough to protect His Word sufficiently.

But then again, perhaps it was a heavenly conspiracy to erase His full personal name entirely from both old and new testaments manuscripts...just to be sure that the only saving name would have the preeminence.

As the scripture says in Psalm 118:14

Jehovah is my strength and my defense; he has become my Yeshua.

• LV101
    LV101

Thx for "DN" answer.

• johnamos
    johnamos

quote - Are you sure you want to use E-Watchman as your source - end quote

In this case YES. I do not agree with all that Robert believes but on that topic I share the same understanding, so I posted the link to his site being that he has already written out what I would have said in support of why I believe the DN was in the original Greek Scriptures, etc.

As far as the WTS using Jehovah vs. Yahweh, that's not relevant to this thread. I am not a defender of the WTS, I was simply replying to smiddy's topic. I happen to believe thou that Jehovah is the more correct way...or should I say Jehoah is as I have pointed out here before.

As far as adding/taking away, is it really adding if you are restoring? The name is found there in the Hebrew Scriptures that are quoted in the Greek Scriptures.

quote - where Jesus used the name Jehovah or equivalent outside of the scriptures he quoted - end quote

Based on the copies on hand...NO, I can not say for certain where. But according to Jesus he said: 'the works he did were in his Father’s name', etc...so I would think that it is not unreasonable that he used it despite there not currently being written record of the usage.

Can you say for certain that the DN was not written at all in the originals?

Do you find it reasonable that when he did quote from the Hebrew Scriptures that he would have said the name?

quote - It's too bad that the God of the Bible is not powerful enough to protect His Word sufficiently...Jehovah is my strength and my defense; he has become my Yeshua. - end quote

There is a reason why an angel came to Mary and told her what she was to name her son. The name she was told to name him was the Hebrew name: Yehoshua.

What is Yehoshua said to mean?

• carla
    carla

johnamos, are you suggesting that because jw's use the word 'Christian' in their name on occasion that they are thought of as Christians? I don't know anybody that thinks jw's are 'Christians' in the traditional sense of the word. Most people who claim to be Christian rely on Christ work on the Cross for their salvation not a few men in NY or the 144,000 other jw's only. For Christians, salvation is through Jesus Christ and Christ alone. Nobody come to the Father but by the Son. It does not say to ride the shirt tails of others, you and you alone are to make sure of all things not rely on a few nut jobs in a writing dept somewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit